The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching Radios and Antennas  (Read 3935 times)
G0MGX

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »

Hi Guys

Never posted before, so please be gentle!

I'm sat in the shack pondering and find myself wondering "how do others do this...", so here is my question:

I have 4 HF radios here, and more recently have a number of different antennas. Currently each radio antenna socket connects to an antenna port of a 4-way antenna switch. The "output" of the switch connects  to the linear, then the output of the linear connects through the ATU. Now, the ATU has only 2 coax antenna sockets, so there I have connected my MA5B and 40/80 shortened dipole. I also have a vertical here and an experimental "sloper" for 160M.

So what is the best way to configure the antennas and radios so that I can connect any antenna to any radio? If I add another antenna switch to the antenna end of the ATU, what kind of losses will I encounter? Are there any examples of "patch" pannels that anyone has made?

Thanks for the help; details on my and my ham related musings can be found here:

http://g0mgx.blogspot.co.uk/

Mark. G0MGX
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

Almost any decent coaxial switch has such low loss on the HF bands it's immeasurable.

Such switches become more critical on VHF, and much more critical on UHF and SHF.  But on HF, as long as the switch actually "works," it won't have any loss you could measure.

I'd just use a 4-way or 6-way (or whatever) coax switch on the output of the tuner.  Then you could switch any rig to any antenna, using the two switches.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »

If you only ever use one antenna and one radio at a time, a 4-to-one switch to select the rig, followed by a one-to-4 switch to select the antenna would work.

If it's necessary to use multiple radios and multiple antennas at the same time, a "patch bay", a panel with one jack for each radio, and one jack for each antenna is the most common way. Hooking radio to radio is bad but folks work around this by using dissimilar connectors such that rigs/amps can only be hooked to antennas and rigs can never be hooked to rigs.

Modern big contest stations sometimes use some automated type switching but again the big no-no, is hooking rig to rig. Example of such interlocks at e.g. http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/sixpak.htm
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »

there are a couple of ways to go here. I had a setup with 6 radios and 6 different antennas, and any could use any .

One way is to get a pair of one in 4 out ( in your case) switches, connect the common input from both switches together,  and select one of the radio and one of the antennas. another way is to either buy a box or build one with two sets of 4 connectors on it.  you run all the antennas to on set of four, and all the radios to the other set of four, and use short jumpers to go from on antenna to one rig. this is called a patch panel.

As far as running the amp, I would just run that on the radio you used the most and not worry about the rest.  good luck and have fun
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:22 AM »

So what is the best way to configure the antennas and radios so that I can connect any antenna to any radio? If I add another antenna switch to the antenna end of the ATU, what kind of losses will I encounter? Are there any examples of "patch" pannels that anyone has made?

I like using a patch panel approach for this sort of setup.  It is simple, cheap and if you only have the antennas on the patch panel and coax coming
from each radio just about impossible to hook the radios to each other.

Here is an example:

http://www.w5kft.org/station/antenna-switch-85-big.jpg

and

http://www.w5kft.org/station/hf-table-87-big.jpg

This is just a plate with double female connectors for each antenna and then a coax from each radio - you can even use quick disconnect connectors if you want to be able to change antennas quickly.

George
K5TR
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

Hi Guys

Never posted before, so please be gentle!

I'm sat in the shack pondering and find myself wondering "how do others do this...", so here is my question:

I have 4 HF radios here, and more recently have a number of different antennas. Currently each radio antenna socket connects to an antenna port of a 4-way antenna switch. The "output" of the switch connects  to the linear, then the output of the linear connects through the ATU. Now, the ATU has only 2 coax antenna sockets, so there I have connected my MA5B and 40/80 shortened dipole. I also have a vertical here and an experimental "sloper" for 160M.

So what is the best way to configure the antennas and radios so that I can connect any antenna to any radio?

Get one 4 port or more switch for the radios, I would use a MANUAL switch there myself, or one that locks out unused ports so some wiring accident cannot pick two at once. An RCS10 will do that with remote wiring. I use an RCS10 on my old radio bench and it is flawless.   

The common port of that switch goes to the amplifier and tuner. 

If I add another antenna switch to the antenna end of the ATU, what kind of losses will I encounter?

An RCS8V will handle the output of a tuner. So will a DX Engineering RR8HD.  Both are about lossless.

Are there any examples of "patch" panels that anyone has made?

I used patch panels at times, but got away from them. If built wrong they are easy to make mistakes, and it can be a PITA to change things around.

73 Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: