The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you NOT always keep your SWR meter inline due to insertion loss?  (Read 37508 times)
K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »

W0BTU
I like that call BTU= a unit of heat.
 BTW, not knowing enough to judge the accuracy of your post, I found it to the point and not abrasive at all as you said in your following post with the clarification of your intention. It seemed to me like a good question and good answer.

Frank
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:55 AM »

Im curious and contemplating which SWR meter to buy, and then realized thats just one more component to add to insertion loss (i have a balun midway to the antenna, a tuner, now SWR meter?) and wanted to know if you guys keep yours inline all the time OR only use it for specific tuning exercises.

I leave them in all the time.  Unless it is real junk it should not have any real loss.  They are made like a section of feed line with some sort of coupling
device (usually a coil) that is connected to the meter circuit.

George
K5TR
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2012, 05:02:56 PM »

Just to clarify:  the reason I don't leave one in line for VHF (and sometimes for HF,
depending on the circumstances) has nothing to do with insertion loss.  That's
insignificant.

It is more to do with how often I plan to look at it.  On HF I actually use it quite often
as I change bands, etc.  On VHF I don't, so once I have checked that my antenna works
I put the meter back out in the barn to use for tuning some other antenna.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: