The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NOVICE PORTIONS OF THE BANDS  (Read 2655 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 05:10:43 PM »

N9GXA writes: "what I always said after passing the Advanced written was that I would always have something to "go for". But maybe I just couldn't pass the Extra's test. hihi."

I think you could pass it, though. Never know till you try!

There are practice tests online that will give you a good idea of how you'd do, where your strong and weak points are, etc. I take all the tests every couple of months just to stay current.

N9GXA: "The Advanced was the first written test I really had to study for so I figured the Extra is just that much harder."

But you've had years of experience, and the current Extra includes much of what you learned for the Advanced.

N9GXA: "when I see Advanced class, I think that person HAD to pass the 13 wpm morse code test."

I understand the sentiment - but it's not based on fact.

From 1990 until 2000, a person could get an Advanced (or General, or Extra) with just a 5 wpm code test, by getting a medical waiver. All it took to get waiver was a letter from any doctor.

So when you see an Advanced, all you can say is that the person must have passed 5 wpm code at some point in the past - same as any Novice or Tech Plus.

If anybody wants to know my level of Morse Code skill, I don't point to some test I took decades ago. I just show them.

N9GXA: "I don't think that can be said for any other class now. That feeling may have manifested from the reception we received from other hams when our class passed our first novice test in 1987 and had 10m phone privileges. We weren't popular."

I'm sorry to hear that.  

N9GXA: "There are some very bright people out there that don't care for CW."

Of course. And there are some very bright people out there who don't care to learn all sorts of theory and regs for modes and bands they'll never use, but they did so anyway.

And was passing a simple 5 wpm test *really* too much to ask?

Thanks for your kind words.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 08:23:05 AM »

In the 1970s, the FCC sought to increase the number of Amateur license classes to seven. It issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to establish three grades of VHF-UHF licenses (Communicator-Technician-Experimenter) and three grades of HF licenses (Novice-General-Advanced).  There were two entry licenses (Communicator and Novice) and each amateur could hold two licenses, one from each chain, at the same time.  Amateur Extra was an over-arching license that conveyed all privileges.  I required the holder to pass additional code and theory exams after holding both the Experimenter and the Advanced licenses.

Neil N3DF
K9FON

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »

Have any of you CW gurus ever worked a newer Techncian on any of the CW sub bands?
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: