The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hex Beam Stealthy Experience ?  (Read 61876 times)
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »

Paul, you might not think our comments are helpful but what we're saying is an antenna like you want is not going to pass anyHOA inspection. So be prepared to take down your expensive new antenna. You might install a cheap mock antenna at that height and see what happens.

I put a vertical on my roof and within 24 hours I was contacted by the HOA to remove it. I ended up with a stealthy ground mounted screwdriver antenna with the 5' base assembly disguised as a birdhouse support. Various whips were attached depending on the band and time of day. Even that was not completely stealthy and the neighbors knew what it was but the HOA folks who patrol monthly looking for violation did not recognize it for what it was. By the way, it worked great on 80-10 meters with a radiation efficiency of a healthy 50% on 80 meters and nearly 100% on 40-10 meters. It even worked on 160 meters where I worked all continents with it.

I know a guy who mounted his home made screwdriver near the ground and ran a 260 foot counterpoise wire. Worked like gangbusters. He was not in an HOA area, he just wanted to see how well it would work.

I agree with others, there is nothing stealthy about a hex beam, no matter what color you paint it! Once it is above the roof line it is going to be visible by someone and it only takes one person to spot it and complain. There goes $400-500 down the drain.

He'd be further ahead to do what you did with the screw driver. But hey he is not spending my cash, so he can do want he warns. But don't say he wasn't warned  Wink
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »

Wire antennas are the most stealthy.   Even full size 80m or 160m onese. 

People just don't pay attention to wires running between trees.   Without a tower and lots of aluminum pointy things they just dont thing "antenna".

Most people doing the "stealth" thing in HOA areas have good success with wire antennas.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2015, 06:06:44 AM »

Forgiveness is always easier than permission.

Put the thing up.  Let the neighbors complain.  They don't get a say unless they're paying your rent or mortgage.  I wouldn't take it down unless there was formal legal action taken against me.  After a few months no one will notice it or care anymore.  Don't over analyze this, it's just an antenna. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2015, 06:56:02 AM »

Put the thing up.  Let the neighbors complain.  They don't get a say unless they're paying your rent or mortgage.  I wouldn't take it down unless there was formal legal action taken against me.  After a few months no one will notice it or care anymore.  Don't over analyze this, it's just an antenna. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Once legal action is taken there will probably be legal costs to be paid, and probably fines.

Rick KK4GGL
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »

Once legal action is taken there will probably be legal costs to be paid, and probably fines.

True. In a situation like this I'd start with a stealthy antenna rather than anger the HOA apparatus and the scrutiny that follows.
W0MT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2015, 09:50:43 AM »

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
I have seen CC&Rs that say if the HOA takes legal action to enforce, loser pays the legal fees of the HOA. It wouldn't be too hard to write CC&Rs that assess any legal fees of the HOA to the person in violation unless it goes to court and the HOA loses. In other words, the HOA sees an antenna, it has its attorney write a letter, and the person is given the attorney's bill for writing the letter. Attorney writing a letter could easily be $200-300 or more.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 10:09:44 AM »

The OP made no mention of an HOA.  Not even a persnickety XYL to deal with. 

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: