donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S21XV  (Read 8365 times)
AE5X

Ignore
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:33:51 PM »

I'd been seeing this station spotted for days (usually by EU) on several bands and never could hear him. This morning he was peaking S8 at times yet generated such a small pile-up you'd think he was a more common entity.

After working him, I made a cheesy recording that at least demonstrates his signal strength.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi28Jy-slDc

I'm surprised that he's not generating more news - anyone else work him (or need S2)?

John AE5X

AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »

I'd been seeing this station spotted for days (usually by EU) on several bands and never could hear him. This morning he was peaking S8 at times yet generated such a small pile-up you'd think he was a more common entity.

After working him, I made a cheesy recording that at least demonstrates his signal strength.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi28Jy-slDc

I'm surprised that he's not generating more news - anyone else work him (or need S2)?

John AE5X

John, I penciled him in my written log at 0049Z (03/03). Think I got him on 30 meters. Dont know if I want to waste the card, postage, etc..... to send for a card.  I would say maybe 25% certain he came back to me. Really weak signal w/QSB.... At least I DID hear him, tho Grin!

73, Gene AF3Y

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »

Wow, one of the ATNO that have been active recently but I have never heard here at my QTH: S2, VU4, XX9
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 06:39:21 PM »

Even with my station, I never heard these guys yet; not for lack of trying.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »

I heard him about a 549 Saturday evening on 20m cw, fluttery and didn't get through.

I think I heard him on 40 cw earlier this evening, but no where near enough to be sure enough to call.
W4VKU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 07:36:49 PM »

Got him today after 1300z on 20m cw. Reasonably good signal.
-Krish
AJ4RW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »

I picked him up this am for an ATNO on 20, had a nice signal.  You're right, not much of a crowd waiting.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 12:40:19 AM »

I've been tracking him but other things in life got in the way.  Two days ago he was weak, a lot of QSB and polar flutter.  I decided not to call as I wasn't confident in copying my call sign with a signal like that.  My local buddy sent me a recording of his QSO and it sounded a lot louder on his station.  I'm really scared of CW with polar flutter.  It changes the tone and I'm just not proficient at copying code with those artifacts.

Today he was spotted on 20m but I had my DX alarm turned off per XYL's order.  I need this for an ATNO but for some reason I'm somewhat timid in going after it.  Now with this post you guys have given me some confidence.

Congrats to all who worked S21 and GL to all who need S21.

Jonathan W6GX
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:56:22 AM »

Practice helps with auroral flutter--best thing that I have done is to run a JA pileup, exchanging names and signal reports.  A real challenge to copy and repeat a  guy's name in addition to the call!

Zack W1VT
VE3YF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:24 AM »

Seen him spotted on 10m RTTY. I need them on RTTY, so perhaps later today I can give it a whirl and see what happens...

73 De Mike
VE3YF

73 De Mike
VE3YF

http://www.ve3yf.com
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:30 AM »

I'm in heaven Smiley

Congrats to you Pete Smiley

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:59:22 AM »

Practice helps with auroral flutter--best thing that I have done is to run a JA pileup, exchanging names and signal reports.  A real challenge to copy and repeat a  guy's name in addition to the call!

Zack W1VT

Thank you Zack for the advice.  I'm come to realize that CW skill is essential in achieving greatness in DX'ing.

Jonathan W6GX
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 06:22:48 AM »

He was very loud on 20M RTTY this morning - got him after an hour in the pile.  New on RTTY but not an ATNO.  I spent 2 years sending emails to S2's trying to arrange a sked.  Finally found a K7 going over and was able to arrange a 20M CW sked.  Took an hour of him QSYing here and there to dodge EU's chasing him to get a 339 both ways.  But the numbers don't matter - the card did.  Also saw an S2 spotted on 20M SSB today.

Don, K2DC
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »

Pretty easy here this morning. Loud and calling NA only, with surprisingly few callers. Needed only as a 2013 Marathon point but still a nice one to have in the log.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08:43 AM »

with surprisingly few callers

Are you kidding me?  His QSO rate was about one per minute.  I also heard quite a few reports being given with no confirmations.  Luckily for me my confirmation came right away with no QRMers trying to steal my QSO.

I have a love-hate relationship with RTTY.  A successful QSO after the chaos gives me a rush.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: