The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX award degree of difficulty?  (Read 22057 times)
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »

Do you guys ever ponder which of the major DX awards grant the most bragging rights?

I'd put them in this order, from easiest to most difficult:

5B-DXCC
DX Honor Roll
5B-WAZ

Do those of you on HR have 5B-WAZ in your sights? After these, what's next?

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

John, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. I disagree with those who think these pursuits are easy. Each require a degree of effort and time to achieve and that can vary for each person and their circumstances. For most of us, time and tenacity will prevail.

With 7 more ATNO entities to go, I'll get back to working on 5BWAZ. I need 18 more zones, 7 on 80, 7 on 40 and 4 on 10. Might not make it if the future is bad for 10 meters.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:18:45 PM by WA4DOU » Logged
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2018, 07:32:15 PM »

IMHO the ARRL's change of DXCC rules to allow remote operation killed the value of the award. YMMV

Sorry you feel that way. It didn't affect the value of the award for many, perhaps even most of us, that have no interest or desire to go there.
N5PG

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »

Do you guys ever ponder which of the major DX awards grant the most bragging rights?

I'd put them in this order, from easiest to most difficult:

5B-DXCC
DX Honor Roll
5B-WAZ

Do those of you on HR have 5B-WAZ in your sights? After these, what's next?

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog

John, I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. I disagree with those who think these pursuits are easy. Each require a degree of effort and time to achieve and that can vary for each person and their circumstances. For most of us, time and tenacity will prevail.

With 7 more ATNO entities to go, I'll get back to working on 5BWAZ. I need 18 more zones, 7 on 80, 7 on 40 and 4 on 10. Might not make it if the future is bad for 10 meters.

That's about the order I'd say. Need P5, Scarboro and Pratas for #1HR.  80m DXCC took me about 10yrs from here.

As for 5BWAZ, I'm at around 189 overall. Need 22 and 23 for 40m (never ever even heard either), the rest on 80m which I doubt I'll ever get from this QTH.

Zero interest in anything like RHR.

73, Happy Christmas to all, Paul
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2018, 06:19:59 AM »

With 5BWAZ it's just a question of whether or not you're there when the needed zone(s) show up. When I applied for 5BWAZ I only had a single contact on 80 with zones 18, 23 and 24. Since then I've stumbled on a few more zone 18 and 24 QSOs but still have only one z23 on 80. I just happened to hear JT1CO on 80 one morning with a good signal but I have heard him at least twice since then.

But work what you can when you can. My very last zone was 18 on 10 meters (somehow I had overlooked needing it), something I couldn't do now with current conditions so get them when and how you can. You'll get them!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:29:45 AM by W2LO » Logged
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2018, 06:53:45 AM »

A lot easier now than twenty years ago. And Merry Christmas all!

Obie N5VYS
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »

To review the distinction - teaching my dog to speak Farsi isn't difficult. It's impossible. The concepts are mutually exclusive. As it applies to any award which may be unachievable, that isn't difficult. Get it?

The first rule of escaping from a deep hole is to stop digging.
I see you ascribe to the motto - when you can't dispute the message, attack the messenger
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2018, 08:05:58 AM »

I see you ascribe to the motto - when you can't dispute the message, attack the messenger

No, he's doing nothing of the kind.  He's pointing out that your argument is weak and doubling down on it is not helpful.
W6OU

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »

Need P5, Scarboro and Pratas for #1HR.
That's the exact three I need.  All so geographically near but......
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »

REMOTES ! That's it. I need to find a JA or BY remote so I can finally get a good P5 on CW. If P5 ever shows up again.
Merry Christmas Y'all.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2018, 11:37:37 AM »

To review the distinction - teaching my dog to speak Farsi isn't difficult. It's impossible. The concepts are mutually exclusive. As it applies to any award which may be unachievable, that isn't difficult. Get it?

The first rule of escaping from a deep hole is to stop digging.

In response to a post describing several DXCC award levels that have rarely been achieved and one DXCC award level that has not yet been achieved, you blithely posted

If someone has the time, the desire and the lack of anything better to do, none of these mentioned is difficult.

According to the published ARRL DXCC standings, you have not applied for any of the awards cited. You provided no evidence substantiating your claim.

When challenged, you attempting to wriggle out by conflating "not yet been achieved" with "impossible", and then claiming that "impossible" and "difficult" are mutually exclusive. Following your semantics, it would be correct to say that neither boiling the ocean nor freezing the sun would be difficult to accomplish tomorrow afternoon. This "logic" is even more ridiculous than the claim in your first post that "none of these mentioned is difficult."

What nonsense will you post next in your obviously desperate attempts to avoid acknowledging an error?

By the way, 17 ops are one entity away from reaching the "Top of the Digital Mode Honor Roll"; if the upcoming DXpedition to Bouvet is successful, one or more of these ops will likely achieve it. "Not yet been achieved" is not the same as "impossible".

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2018, 08:31:17 AM »

According to the published ARRL DXCC standings, you have not applied for any of the awards cited. You provided no evidence substantiating your claim.

you would be better off writing about something you know.
Not that I really care but I liked the top of the HR number 1 plaque which is hanging on my office wall. If I can do it in my free time while raising a family and running a business competing for time in other hobbies like golf and sailing,  anyone can. It's not that hard (read -difficult).

If you find it otherwise, you may have a more insidious problem.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »

you would be better off writing about something you know.
Not that I really care but I liked the top of the HR number 1 plaque which is hanging on my office wall. If I can do it in my free time while raising a family and running a business competing for time in other hobbies like golf and sailing,  anyone can. It's not that hard (read -difficult).

If you find it otherwise, you may have a more insidious problem.

Yes, you have accomplished "Top of the Mixed Honor Roll"; congratulations.

However, you have not even applied for any of the accomplishments you have characterized as "not difficult"  - the CW Honor Roll, and the Digital Honor Roll.  Continued hand-waving on your part is not evidence that these are milestones are "not difficult".

Speaking from personal experience, achieving the Digital Honor Roll was significantly more difficult than achieving "Top of the Mixed Honor Roll".

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: December 25, 2018, 04:50:54 PM »

It's not really DX, but I think the FFMA (all 488 US grid squares on VHF - http://www.arrl.org/ffma) must be one of the more difficult, life-long awards one could earn. There have only been 5 recipients, and none in the last 2.5 years.

Another one is working all 48 CONUS states on 2 meters without using EME.  Only a few have done that also.  I am at 40 currently.

73 John AF5CC
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: December 25, 2018, 04:55:28 PM »

They have a funny way of defining "All"! Maybe it's like what the definition of "is" is...

John AE5X

Kind of like the Worked All States award where you can get it by only working 49 states.
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 25, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »

No.

N0UN

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: