The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DX award degree of difficulty?  (Read 22069 times)
N5VYS

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »

I'm just mixing radio!

Obie N5VYS
N1UR

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2018, 05:33:56 PM »

For me, 5BWAZ has been the toughest.  Need 5 zones on 80M, have the rest.

Missing Bouvet and P5 on DXCC and a a couple of SSB and CW countries.  Took me 20 years to hit Honor Roll.

5BDXCC or close to it is achievable in a contest weekend.

Ed  N1UR
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »

I have 5BDXCC (actually 8 band DXCC). 

I have 5BWAZ at the 160 zone level. 

Not sure I will ever make honor roll.  Achieving that takes more than just time and effort, you need to have a station capable of working some of the really tough paths.

73 John AF5CC
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2018, 07:05:25 PM »

For me it was what was "enough" to feel like I met my goals. (YMMV).

Honor Roll - Mixed was 50% of my DXing goal
9BDXCC completed the last 50% of y DXing goal

For me - HR plus 9BDXCC (with 160M as the last band) was enough for me

Now I enjoy all kinds of other aspects of the hobby. DXCC and DX-ing were just one part / phase of what I have been interested in in this great hobby of ours.
N1UR

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2018, 03:48:51 AM »

My comment on 5BWAZ was in actually achieving the award at the 200 zone level.

You don't have to work P5 on 80M to get Honor Roll.  But you do have to work zone 23 on 80M to get 5BWAZ.

Ed  N1UR
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »

Not sure I will ever make honor roll.  Achieving that takes more than just time and effort, you need to have a station capable of working some of the really tough paths.

73 John AF5CC

I'm at 322 mixed, 317 cw (current countries).  Location makes a big difference.  The hardest countries have been TX3X, Kh1/kh7z, 4W, and JD1 Ogasawara, all worked with basic wire antennas from New England !  The only miss in the past couple of years has been ZS8.  Baker was hard because of the band is open but they are now working Europe only issue but I did get my contact.

Zak W1VT
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:41:03 AM by W1VT » Logged
LA7DFA

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2018, 05:47:41 AM »

The good thing about this hobby, is that everyone can set their own goals.
I am having a blast working DX on many bands and modes, using moderate wire antennas.
The most interesting bands <imo> are 160 and 6m.  Thats because its hard, and propagations still has some mysteries and timing.

I have not really tried to work WAZ on 160 yet, but still have 37 zones, due to DXCC chasing.  10B_DXCC confirmed, but not applied for.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2018, 11:10:26 AM »

Well, in the FWIW category, here's some recent accomplishments

I (re)worked 5BDXCC from the start of 2015 through the end of 2017.
I (re)worked 305 countries from 2013 when I got my station fully operational in Arizona.
I (re)worked 198 DXCC zones since 2012 when I got started in Arizona.

In terms of elapsed time from the start, including my "popgun station" Minnesota years, I got to 5BDXCC first, Honor Roll second, and 5BWAZ third.

The reworking is perhaps a bit telling (it represents "worked"; my data doesn track "confirmed" well since much of it was rework, but it would be pretty close).

It suggests that some of what makes the awards hard is different once we have done it once versus the pain of learning how from "scratch".  Each of the "reworks" took much less time than the comparable original achievement, even though I wasn't all that focused on doing so.

It also suggests that if we had the right mentoring, and put up a good station on 80 meters right away, that Honor Roll is harder than 5BWAZ.  But, IME and in that of folks I know, achieving HR is usually ahead of 5BWAZ and a lot of that (of course) has to do with learning how to put up a station on 80 that works over the poles.  Some DXers, in fact never put up much on 80 to start with.  For those, it is just imaginable that they will reach HR before the objectively easier 5BDXCC, never mind 190+ zones on 5BWAZ.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: