The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Older Gear On the Air  (Read 4395 times)
KC5SIG

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2001, 03:07:09 AM »

I recently ran across a buy I couldn't pass up at a local hamfest.  I found an old ICom IC-25A bundled with an AEA PKT-1 (s/n is 98!!).  The radio looks a little banged up and doesn't have CTCSS capabilities (that I know of), but the TNC looks like it just came off the shelf.  The gear came from an SK and the hams that were selling the stuff for the family made no bones about the fact that they had not checked any of the gear, but for the price I paid, it was worth the risk.

Is it even worth trying to get this equipment up and on the air?  If so, does anyone have any reference materials they could send me on the TNC?  The radio is pretty straightforward, and I'm sure it won't be able to track down the ICom 8 pin to 5 pin adapter.  Also, since there was no documentation whatsoever with the PKT-1, I don't even know what it's capabilities are!

I have two different computers that I can hook the setup to, one Linux and one WindowsME box.

Anyone have any suggestions?  There's a ton of packet activity in the area I'm in and I want to get involved in it!

Thanks and 73!
Hatton Humphrey KC5SIG
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2001, 02:03:05 PM »

www.packetradio.com

That is about all I can say.......old gear works great on packet.  Why tie up your new rig?Huh  

Good luck

73/72 .-.-.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: