The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-430S Filters  (Read 17233 times)
W4OEQ

Ignore
« on: March 29, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »

My new/used TS-430S has a previously installed AM filter YK-88A.  The manual states that if this filter is installed, the WIDE/NARROW switch should offer a passband width of either 6 and 2.4 kHz.  However, when I place the switch in either position, there is no change in the passband width.   Should I conclude that the 2.4 kHz filter is broken or is there some other reason this filter is not operating in the narrow mode?  The manual also states that without an optional filter, the AM mode bandwidth is 2.4 kHz (narrow), but it appears to me that the current operating width is 6, not 2.4.  Suggestions?  73,  Tom, W4OEQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »

When a filter is installed in 430 I believe there is a jumper that needs to be set or rig will ignore it.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:20:31 PM »

Kenwood TS-430 Owner's Manual
http://www.usersmanualguide.com/kenwood/amateur_radio/ts-430s

Turn to page 20, Section 6-2 Installation of Optional Filters
Pictorials: Figure 6-1 and Figure 6-3 show proper jumper configurations.
===
Turn to page 10, Section 5.1.8 NAR-WIDE switch operation
The Passband Width Matrix table show all possible combinations.

IF a switch setting does not work -- CHECK to see if former owner properly jumped AM filter.
That would be on Page 20.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:27:28 PM by W9GB » Logged
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »

Thanks for comments.  I am looking at page 20 of the TS-430 manual, and it is not clearly worded.  Section 6.2, item 5 is clear as to the removal of R16 and cutting the R-129 lead.  Since the YK-88A filter is already installed, I cannot see beneath it to verify that R-16 has been removed.  However, since the filter lies flat on the board, it is highly likely that R-16 has been removed. 

Note item 9 on the list of steps.  It says, "Move the connection as illustrated when an AM filter is installed."  This statement does NOT refer to a specific Figure nor is any "connection" illustrated in one of the drawings.  What does this mean?  What connection? Is it referring to moving the dotted wire from point "S" over to point "A?"

73, Tom, W4OEQ
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2013, 12:28:17 PM »

Tom -

SECTION 6, page 20

STEP 9 : Move the connection as illustrated when an AM filter is installed.

The key wording: as illustrated is in reference to Figure 6-3 AM Filter Detail No. 2
at Lower right on that page.

The jumper is moved from point "S" to point "A" on the PC board.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 12:31:53 PM by W9GB » Logged
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

Thanks.  The board was wired correctly in accordance with the manual.  I cannot find anything that will make this narrow AM filter work.

However, the plot thickens.  It seems that a previous owner added an external 2.1 Hz SSB filter.  Presumably, the YK-88SN filter was not available, but a kit could be obtained from International Crystals (kit # 94).  I do not have a skematic for this small circuit board.  Further checking reveals that this narrow filter is NOT operating.    The original TRIO broad filter YK-88S works just fine.

So, I have a narrow AM filter and a narrow SSB filter and neither works.  I wonder if the previous owner did not properly configure the diodes to switch the filters into operation??  I have not investigated this and am not sure where to begin.  I have a fat 3-ring binder that includes lots of information, manuals, etc. for this rig.....,including a detailed summary from the literature of various modifications that can be made to the 430.  International Radio published it in August, 1985.  It refers to the need to modify the diode switching but there are no details in the description.

Suggestions?  73, Tom, W4OEQ
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »

International Radio (INRAD) has new owners (since 1985) and located in Aptos, CA.
They have a wide selection of 8.830 MHz filters for the TS-430S.
http://www.inrad.net/home.php?cat=45

You can contact them for specifics about installation, or notes they may have from former owners.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 03:04:01 AM »

It was much later than 1985 that George Cutsogeorge, W2VJN, sold INRAD to the present owners: they moved it to Aptos. I met George for the first time at RF Expo East in Boston in November 1986, when we were all intending to forgather one night at K1AR's place for beer and pizza: there was a power outage and so we adjourned down the road a bit to the QTH of Jonh's brother in law, Doug K1DG.  At that time, George wasn't even running INRAD. I bought a narrow SSB filter for a FT102 from George at Dayton in about 2004!
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »

Here is an update on my TS-430S filter situation.  A previous owner inserted a #94 INRAD 2.1Hz SSB filter as a substitute for the original equipment narrow SSB filter normally placed on the circuit board with the other filters.  The #94 is on its own small circuit board that includes a transistor and a small transformer.  It is connected to the IF board through two short coax cables to a location between coil L4 and C29.  I have not yet removed the board to see the exact insertion point on the circuit diagram.  This filter provides the only width selection for the SSB signal.  The original 500 Hz CW filter on the IF board works in the narrow position.  In the CW broad switch position, the 2.1 SSB filter is in use.  I have not yet figured out how these filters are switched in and out, especially the external 2.1 filter.

The INRAD company cannot provide a copy of the original #94 circuit board or connection information.  Do any of you have this information available that can be sent to me?  Thanks.  73, Tom, W4OEQ
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »

Tom -

Best advice, get a copy of the TS-430S Service Manual.
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/index.php?dir=Kenwood/Kenwood_TS-430

The color X-ray layouts of the PC boards may be most useful.

Manual Man will have a clean paper copy, if that is easier for you to work with.
http://www.manualman.com/index.cfm
TS-430S service
http://www.manualman.com/index.cfm?v_link=product_detail&v_key=76136&v_model=TS-430

You will then have a factory baseline, to determine the modifications made.

w9gb
W4OEQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 01:09:54 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I already have the original TS-430S technical service manual and circuit drawings.  I can see where the filter was connected, but I need the original installation directions and schematic for the #94 circuit board to verify that it was installed the way INRAD specified.  I also would like to see whatever "theory of operations" they provided with the circuit board.  73,  Tom, W4OEQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: