The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Apples and floppy software  (Read 4226 times)
N3RIK

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2001, 08:29:55 PM »

Recently was given a Macintosh SE, Im really surprised at what this little box can do. I think it was ahead of its time as I try to remember my dos commands *.*/files/<??>uhoh

Anyway, I noticed a few things about the old macs. Even on Ebay, these machines are DIRT CHEAP! I also noticed the machine seems to be well shielded and does not upset my HF receivers when I plugged it in right next to them, even on 10 meters all seems quiet. Its also really small, probably does not use much power, could be run with a little inverter off batteries for a few hours at a time in emergency situation...

So, to the point:  

There must of been software created to make the machine useful for the HF operator, logging programs? CW tx/rx use, maybe even packet??? Anyone know how I can find some programs so I can begin experimenting??

This machine just might be the perfect replacement for the old Commodore 64 some of you have used for a very  long time...??!
WB5KHB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2001, 05:10:44 PM »

Check out this site: http://www.g0oanint.demon.co.uk/
This is an archive of ham programs for the mac. I'm not sure what all is here that will run on the compact macs.  If you can get your hands on an SE/30, it is quite a step up from the other models. As for using it for packet, all that is required by most tnc's is some type of communications terminal software.  I wish the SE30 had a mic input and enough speed to use for PSK31!
(I have 3 compacts by the way, a Classic, An SE, and a SE/30. I've had two of these setup to connect to the web...slow, but it actually works! If you are interested in this, the Netscape 2.0 is one of the better browsers to use on the old macs.
N3RIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2001, 06:48:38 PM »

Thanks, very helpful info!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: