The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK-31  (Read 13485 times)
N5NJ

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2000, 06:09:37 PM »

What's the deal with this new mode ?  How does a beginner get started ?
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2000, 08:04:40 AM »

I'm in the process of finding that out my self. Here are a couple of addy's to check out for info.

http://bipt106.bi.ehu.es/psk31.html
http://www.qsl.net/wm2u

Steve Ford, WB8IMY, has written a couple of good articles in QST about the mode. May 1999, and May 2000. Getting my old TS-520 interfaced with the computer is about the only challenge. I'm looking forward to finally using this mode to see how good it really is.

73's

N1YLN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2000, 07:11:07 PM »

I have been operating PSK31 and RTTY for a whole whopping 3 weeks now and although I'm far from good at it I have been following it for several months. I got on by making the interface found on WM2U's page http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/psk31.html and using PSK31 for Windows by G3PLX.

If your interested in kits go to Small Wonder Labs site http://www.smallwonderlabs.com/ and take a look at his 20m PSK31 radio kit with built in interface.  If you email me I can give you a few more ideas when I know how you want to get on...

73, Ed  N1YLN
KC0EM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2000, 04:56:58 PM »

It is a fun mode and easy to use. I followed WB8IMY's suggestions in the May 2000 QST and was on the air in less than a half hour after downloading software and also  I followed his suggestions in the article on setting levels etc. Most of the activity seems to be on 20 M around 14.070. I haven't found much on other bands. Read the article and enjoy the fun.
"VC"
AC7CF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2000, 05:22:31 PM »

Go to http://www.psk31.com/ for some great PSK 31 information.  The most popular programs out there are DigiPan and Logger as well as WinPSK.   Operating is easy once you get the hang of it and PSKers are friendly (and most of them are fairly new as well.)  Most of the activity is on 14.070 but I have made QSOs on 10 meters right around 28.120 also.  Have fun and hope to CU on the air!
N9AVG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2000, 08:11:19 PM »

I think the best way to get started with PSK31 is to just monitor for awhile. You will want to see how it is done before you actually "do" it anyway. And eavesdropping couldn't be easier!

Make up an audio cable to go from your rig to the soundcard on your PC. You can use the speaker jack out of your rig to the line in or microphone in on your sound card.

Next, you need some software. The easiest to use PSK31 software that I've found is DigiPan. You can download a free copy from:

http://members.home.net/hteller/digipan/

With it installed, all that remains is to start the software, turn your volume up to about 1/3 of full and set your rig to a PSK31 frequency like 14.070. You should begin to see signal show up in the DigiPan software... many PSK31 signals can fit into the audio bandwidth of your rig (turn your narrow filters off).... you will likely see one or more solid stripes running down the DigiPan screen. The stronger the signal the darker the color of the stripe. Click on one of the stripes and you will begin seeing test printed in the top window of DigiPan!

It is amazing to watch the many signals without moving your VFO proving the utility of this very narrow operating mode.

When you are ready to transmit, read more about making a simple interface at the PSK31 homepage:

http://www.kender.es/~edu/psk31.html

See you on PSK31!

73 de Jeff, N9AVG
http://n9avg.org/

N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2000, 06:46:08 PM »

Success!!
My first PSK31 contacts in the log. I'm using the Rigblaster interface along with my old Kenwood TS-520. The Rigblaster and Digipan make this almost easy. I did have a little trouble getting the settings right on the 520. These old rigs don't like being turned down. HI, HI! With the Rigblaster and the software that comes with it I'm ready to try out all of the "sound card" modes. I think Kantronics and Timewave are in trouble. If you've got a personal confuser with a sound card there's no reason to spend $400 on a multi-mode TNC.

73's, N0RKX
K4DOH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2000, 03:03:41 AM »

Wow! 14070 kHz is getting a bit crowded. I'm moving more and more to the edges around 14068 and 14072. Let's populate the other bands as well. 10140 is promising if you can get on 30m. You can also try 7035 (or 7080), but you might be "welcomed" with a barrage of warp-speed cw for your efforts.

I made my first dozen or so contacts on 28120, a popular spot before April 15. (Hmmm...;-)
W5KAP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2000, 04:20:28 PM »

Some more thoughts on PSK 31.  A few points to ponder that no one has mentioned.  When setting up enusre you:

A.  Remove your microphone from the connector
         B.  Turn your Processor off
         C.  Use the ALC meter function with VOX turned on to get around 30 watts output.
         D.  make sure your sounds on the copmuter are turned off.  Go to the bar at the bottom and select sounds.  There is a pull-down menu which will allow you to turn computer sounds off.
         E.  If you have a microphone hooked up to your sound card, remove it.

Hope this helps.  It's a fun mode and it's getting popular.

73 de Kenn W5KAP

73 de Kenn
K1HC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2000, 08:31:18 PM »

Hi-

I saw your posting on EHam.net about use of the RigBlaster.  I'm just getting random letters on screen.  I do see the "railroad tracks" indicating the PSK31 signal being received through the Digipan software, and my rig does go into transmit when I click on TX on the Digipan screen.  Do you have any suggestions?  

Thanks and 73,

Dick, K1HC
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2000, 08:46:51 PM »

Hi Dick,
   Let's try a few (simple) things first. Did you click the diamond to the center of a PSK signal? Is your "spectrum drive" volumes up to nearly full up? Is your WINDOWS volumes full up or nearly so? Is your rig's volume control up high enough? If a particular signal is weak you may have to crank up the rig volume more before you get readable text. A strong signal doesn't require the rig's volume control to be very high, I set mine up a quarter of the way unless the signal is weak then I'll crank it up a bit higher. 73 de Tom

"My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy, mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away from a church as you can." - Frank Zappa
W6KAG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2000, 04:17:46 PM »

Greetings Dick --  Another thing to check is the "Mode". That is a menu item along the top of the DigiPan screen.  On HF almost everyone uses BPSK.  If you have QPSK checked instead you would get what you describe from ALL BPSK stations.  QPSK is more robust and with the DigiPan automatic pull in (Snap) it is not any more difficult to tune, but it is probably best to go along with the crowd.
Aloha --  Butch --  W6KAG --  Molokai, HI
K1HC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2000, 04:34:10 PM »

PSK31 problem solved!  My sound card level into my IC-706MKII was too high.  See you on PSK31!

Dick, K1HC
KC8HNZ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2000, 02:11:19 AM »

Has there been any word on whether PSK can or is being used on VHF, more specificly 2m?
N8XMS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2000, 10:06:34 AM »

I have never worked any of the digital modes but I've decided to give PSK31 a try.  On my computer the only audio output is taken up by the stereo speakers but one of the speakers has a headphone jack on it.  When a plug is in the jack the speakers are muted.  Has anyone had experience with getting the transmit audio from this kind of connection?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: