The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 what type filters are needed?  (Read 4425 times)
KE4BCN

Ignore
« on: February 09, 2001, 10:22:06 AM »

Hello I would like to get into PSK31 and maybe a few of the other sound card modes. I am looking to buy a new hf rig which I can also use on ssb and cw. Right now I am leaning towards the IC-746 but would like to know what filters if any are recommended for running PSK31? If you have any other ideas on what rig would be nice in this price range I would be interested also... Thanks...

Ross
KC8NJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2001, 03:57:16 PM »

One answer is that you don't need any extra filters. I have an IC-746 and have completed many PSK31 contacts without additional filters. Because digital modes run in SSB mode while a typical digital filter selection would be about 400 - 500Hz, you would need to "lie" to the 746.
From what I have seen, a wide range of modern rigs perform well on PSK and MFSK modes, including the 746. Select the rig based on your over-all requirements. Don't worry about filters for the new digital modes until you have used the equipment in that mode for a while.
Hope to see you on digital soon  ...Bill / KC8NJM
N3HKN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2001, 07:59:30 AM »

The wider bandwidth filters will allow more PSK31 signals into your passband (waterfall display). If one of these is very strong the radio's AGC is increased which may reduce weaker signals to an unuseable level. However, if you can either disable AGC, or use a more narrow filter the problems of strong nearby signals is reduced.

N3HKN
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2001, 11:22:42 PM »

I have a 746 and run most of the soundcard modes with great results.  I don't have any IF filters, but the DSP bandpass filter do a pretty good job of zeroing in on specific signals, especially in PSK31.

One great feature with the 746 for the digital modes is that it has 100% duty cycle, so it stays nice and cool, even running 100 watts in RTTY (I don't run over 50 in other modes) but having a big heatsink and not worrying about overheating my finals is one of many great features of the 746.

Hope to see you on my screen.

Jeremy N1ZZZ/4
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: