The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Please - No LOTW"  (Read 12314 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »

I don't recall the protocol when I signed up for LoTW.  Did I have to include a copy of my ham license or an ID?

US licensees don't have to do that. They are mailed a postcard. This is because ARRL checks the FCC database. They can't do that with other countries so they ask for a license copy and ID document.

In fact I had to submit one for my other foreign callsign.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 08:45:58 AM »

Hi,

The only real additional step for "foreign stations", is to send a copy of your license/operating permit to the ARRL for verification. Other then that it has the same "hassles" to get on LoTW.

I had an EI ham tell me that because he had to mail a copy of his license and ID that he felt insulted and felt that ARRL did not trust him. That is why he decided not to do LoTW.
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 01:08:50 PM »

I'm a small timer in this discussion, relatively new to chasing DX (three years now) and strictly digital mode.  I'm focused right now on DXCC, so that means most of my contacts will be non USA.  But I've got a 50% percent response rate for my QSO's uploaded to LOTW, and 68 of my confirmed 91 countries ("entities") are LOTW.  On PSK31, I occasionally see the "no LOTW" and just take it to mean that they don't use LOTW, so don't expect a QSL that way.  So I'll look them up in QRZ and see what they prefer.  Been doing a mostly JT-65 lately, and of course the format doesn't easily allow sending a "no LOTW" (though I do see a few final transmissions that are positive with respect to LOTW).  As for eastern Europe countries, I have paper (i.e. no LOTW) QSL's for Belarus, Estonia, Bulgaria, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, and LOTW for Slovak Republic, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania.  Overall, I'd say eastern Europe has been harder to get LOTW QSL's than most other areas.  But I wouldn't attribute it to the desire for green stamps; I think it is just as likely to be the hassle involved, as well as some nationalist issues that may make some of them reluctant to affiliate with a USA organization.  I have scores of Cuban QSO's, and several QSL cards, but only a single solitary LOTW confirmation out of Cuba.  I have to believe that LOTW usage in Cuba is even way below LOTW usage in eastern Europe.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: