The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ - What more can be said...  (Read 167841 times)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2015, 09:49:16 AM »

Great advice, Bob! In my region, HRO-Atlanta does a great job as does DX Engineering. Both frequently offer free shipping if the order meets a $100 threshold. I'm fortunate enough to be 1.5 hours away from MFJ so I can easily get to StarkVegas on anything. The ONLY thing, however, that I've needed in terms of a "repair" since 1979 is a small power supply that arrived without a small machine screw. I faced a dire dilemma: 3 hours of driving or two steps to my parts rack. I chose the latter....!

Frank

IMO, the best way to buy MFJ stuff is to pick a dealer and stick with him. If you do get something that needs more than a little tweak, a good dealer will go to bat for you with the service dept. and get your repair expedited. That has been my experience.
73, Bob ah7i/w4
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2015, 06:08:48 AM »

Aloha Frank!

Thanks!

There's a lot to be said for holding on to things that look like they might be useful. Most of my MFJ stuff was purchased used, inoperative(cheap), and fixed from the parts bin. Alas, the XYL does not always agree. My only new MFJ ever was a switching supply. The "power pole" connectors were defective. I emailed the dealer, he arranged for a replacement from MFJ. No shipping charge either way. I'm very happy with that sort of service on a new product.

I wonder if there could be a business in repairing out of warranty MFJ stuff? Who's going to pay two way shipping plus parts and labor to repair something that's $99 new with warranty? It might make sense with the $200+ products.

73, Bob ah7i/w4

Great advice, Bob! In my region, HRO-Atlanta does a great job as does DX Engineering. Both frequently offer free shipping if the order meets a $100 threshold. I'm fortunate enough to be 1.5 hours away from MFJ so I can easily get to StarkVegas on anything. The ONLY thing, however, that I've needed in terms of a "repair" since 1979 is a small power supply that arrived without a small machine screw. I faced a dire dilemma: 3 hours of driving or two steps to my parts rack. I chose the latter....!

Frank

IMO, the best way to buy MFJ stuff is to pick a dealer and stick with him. If you do get something that needs more than a little tweak, a good dealer will go to bat for you with the service dept. and get your repair expedited. That has been my experience.
73, Bob ah7i/w4
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:20:57 AM by AH7I » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: June 15, 2015, 10:27:38 AM »

True story from the recent Ham Com ...

Friend of mine bought - brand new in the box - from the MFJ booth at Ham Com, a (supposedly) new microphone. When he tried it at home it would key the radio but no audio. He brought it over this morning for me to take a look at. Before I took it apart I commented on the way the end of the cord looked. It looked all bodged up to me. I pulled a pic from the MFJ website and the end of the MFJ pic looked as it should. I decided to open up the end of the cable, and sure enough, someone had tried to kludge a Cat-5 computer cable end to the original wiring.

This is really sad to me. It's obviously a returned item, but to make it into a new box and be sold as new?

Roll Eyes

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2015, 06:23:06 AM »

Update:

My friend received the replacement MFJ microphone yesterday, one that is specifically supposed to be for Kenwood radios - this one -

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-290MK

8 pin modular plug.

It doesn't work - no audio output. He's going to wash his hands of MFJ and return the whole lot.

KL7KN

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: June 28, 2015, 02:08:20 PM »

Interesting set of comments.
I purchased an MFJ-9296, the finished product being (to me) worth more than a kit - a kit costing a lot more BTW.

The radio arrived, poorly packed -- both from the MFJ and retail vendor sides.  Despite that, the radio played.  It is that well built.

I discovered a birdie (on every band).  When I opened a ticket - answered the next day BTW - I found that MFJ had no tech data to use in t/s or for repair of the radio.  Odd that.

The radio is a variation of the YouKits HB1A, seen later as a HS1A and now as the -9200.  I'm not surprised at the lack of tech data for the end-user, the radio series is in a constant state of flux/improvement.  As I noted in my review, this radio isn't for the newbie or faint of heart.  But for MFJ to sale a radio with no tech data for repair, well, that is a bit of a surprise.

My hope is that a stock of working replacement radios is on hand and that one will be set to me as a replacement.  That's my hope - what will happen is in the future.  I'll post an update, but so far, the company seems to meet all the norms for good C/S.

I've used their products for years and have been quite happy til now....

KL7KN

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »

I sent my -9200 into MFJ.  I got a new unit in the mail within a week.  I received a telephone call (not an email) when the new radio shipped to me.

The new radio checked out fine.  I'm more than happy with the service.  YMMV.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2015, 09:00:55 PM »

MFJ Derangement Syndrome: That is where you keep buying stuff from MFJ but can't really explain why

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2015, 06:26:21 AM »

Psst! I have MFJ Arrangement Syndrome! I give them (a little) money and they give me equipment that works. Since becoming a customer in 1979, only a small power supply with a problem...which I fixed with a small machine screw. If it feels this good getting used then use me up (apologies to Bill Withers)!

MFJ Derangement Syndrome: That is where you keep buying stuff from MFJ but can't really explain why
KC5YN

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: August 16, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »

Guess I have MFJ-DS also. Accepting I am not purchasing top of the line equipment with a top of the line price, I have been happy with my MFJ purchases.

Fred

Law of Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »

Hi Fred!

Perhaps it's a sign of the Zombie Apolocalypse but there were more than a thousand hams displaying the MFJ-DS in Huntsville AL this weekend at their annual hamfest! Crawling over one another to touch, twiddle knobs, squint at price tags, ask Qs, and whip out credit cards to buy MFJ equipment. Martin must have had them in a trance as they packed his Forum presentation on the history of the company, taking ALL of the MFJ 2015 catalogs (including asking me for mine), and his four give-away prizes to those who attended that session. Crazy! They love Martin and his company! Wow...mass hysteria in Rocket City.

73 Fred!

Frank
K4FMH

Guess I have MFJ-DS also. Accepting I am not purchasing top of the line equipment with a top of the line price, I have been happy with my MFJ purchases.

Fred
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2015, 04:31:05 AM »

Perhaps it's a sign of the Zombie Apolocalypse but there were more than a thousand hams displaying the MFJ-DS in Huntsville AL this weekend at their annual hamfest! Crawling over one another to touch, twiddle knobs, squint at price tags, ask Qs, and whip out credit cards to buy MFJ equipment.

I wonder how many of them bought re-boxed hacked-up used equipment sold as new, like my friend as I described above? Guess we'll never know ...
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »

I added it up and 44% of the items I have purchased from MFJ (I am lumping Ameritron into this) was defective in some way - meaning it did not work right out of the box.  I had to return only 1 item that I could not repair myself and that was mainly because of parts availability.  Their quality control is horrible, but they usually make it right if you contact them.

Buying from them is certainly a crap shoot.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:08:51 AM by SWL2002 » Logged
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2015, 03:41:50 AM »

I owe one MFJ item - the 259B antenna analyzer.  Bought it used.  It works fine. 

Going back 30 years, I have owned two of their keyers, which also worked fine (bought new).  Also owned an AL-1500 amp, bought used.  Also worked fine. 

I probably won't buy any other MFJ items though.

Tom, N2SR

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: