The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ - What more can be said...  (Read 169513 times)
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2014, 12:10:44 PM »

Well said.

What would you do if MFJ closed its doors? Do you think another nut would put up with all your complaints and bellyaching and still supply hams with the hundreds of products MFJ does? Be careful what you wish for because you wil not be happy if this company was not around. You should be thanking them for all they do for our hobby and for all the bankrupt companies they have rescued.

I must be the luckiest person in the world. I've been purchasing new and used items from MFJ and its affiliates since 1978. I own at least a dozen of their products from HF tube and solid state amps, various meters, rotors, antennas, switches, buffers, etc. Everthing I owned or have owned as worked as advertised. I reallly feel for all these unlucky hams who always seem to end up with the malfunctiong equipment, lucky me.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »

I have a few MFJ products. A MFJ-616 speech enhancer, and a MFJ-434 auto tuner. Both work flawlessly, and the construction and materials are high quality.  I don't regret purchasing either unit.

I've seen other MFJ products that I would not own--including some of the manual tuners.  I almost suspect some of the equipment is being manufactured offshore?

K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

I almost suspect some of the equipment is being manufactured offshore?

Over 90% of all MFJ Enterprises products are manufactured or assembled in Starkville, MS in one of three sites. Many parts---vacuum tubes, etc.---are manufactured off-shiore when no US source is available. This info is from Martin Jue himself.

Frank
K4FMH
W3QE

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »

N1CX wrote:

What would you do if MFJ closed its doors? Do you think another nut would put up with all your complaints and bellyaching and still supply hams with the hundreds of products MFJ does? Be careful what you wish for because you will not be happy if this company was not around. You should be thanking them for all they do for our hobby and for all the bankrupt companies they have rescued.

I must be the luckiest person in the world. I've been purchasing new and used items from MFJ and its affiliates since 1978. I own at least a dozen of their products from HF tube and solid state amps, various meters, rotors, antennas, switches, buffers, etc. Everything I owned or have owned as worked as advertised. I really feel for all these unlucky hams who always seem to end up with the malfunctiing equipment, lucky me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said N1CX-----------

I never did understand the stigma of MFJ.

Every company can be improved.

It's the pile on kick em attitude that 99 percent of the hams doing it couldn't possibly accomplish what this ONE man did for the love of a hobby.

How many $1595 auto tuners would Pulsar sell picking up the void MFJ would leave if it went away?

If MFJ didn't exist, that same Palstar tuner would be $2500 instead.

People don't think, they just bitch with zero rationality considered.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:32:37 AM by W3QE » Logged
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2014, 11:45:54 AM »

Well I guess that's it then - we have our marching orders.

No more complaining about MFJ.

No more threads about items that arrive broken.

No more posts about products that don't work like the instructions say upon arrival.

No more complaining about gear that isn't repaired properly or on time.

Nothing more about low quality assembly.

Give MFJ a pass on it all - they deserve our total respect and deference.

Delete the thread and be quiet!
W3QE

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2014, 03:46:27 PM »

Ad nauseam complaints from unhappy souls sure doesn't prevent MFJ from buying up many companies in the amateur community that were heading for liquidation.

So yeah, no more complaining makes perfect sense.

But we both know the insults will never end, at the same time Martin F. Jue smiles on the way to the bank.

Hams are cheap and whiny, that will never change, and I never figured it would.
K4FMH

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: December 01, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

No company should get a "pass" (pass = complete excuse for everything). So what about this for your marching orders?

Why not just post when YOU have factual experiences with MFJ products? Let others express theirs as they wish. IF MFJ is at fault, go to them using the means they ask you to request customer service, and if they don't act reasonably, then post here to complain. Otherwise, don't just pile on (that means when the runner is down, down continue to tackle him) when there's the hint of negativity in a post regarding MFJ here?

Does that not sound reasonable to you, N5INP? If not,  you need to chill out in your neighbor's pool! Grin

Well I guess that's it then - we have our marching orders.

No more complaining about MFJ.

No more threads about items that arrive broken.

No more posts about products that don't work like the instructions say upon arrival.

No more complaining about gear that isn't repaired properly or on time.

Nothing more about low quality assembly.

Give MFJ a pass on it all - they deserve our total respect and deference.

Delete the thread and be quiet!
N6PG

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »

I've had good luck with MFJ products.  Without MFJ, we would have lost some companies and the competition they provide is helpful.  They provide a lot of needed products. 

This is part of a two part series on the company...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajHNiKLo79Y
KK4SGF

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2015, 01:59:48 PM »

I looked into the MFJ-998 before I bought it.  It came last week and right off the bat things went south when I noticed the ceramic balanced antenna connector with wingnut had broken through the box and was sticking out.  I opened the box and it was the worst packing job I have ever seen in my life.  It looked like someone had gotten old pieces of styrofoam from some other item like a big screen TV and used those foam pieces on just the 4 corners of the tuner which was not packed snug enough to hold the tuner. The tuner failed the rattle test before I could even get it out of the box but by just tilting it to one side I heard several ching-a-chings of metal parts flying around inside.  Also, the cross meter only had one of the two screws there to hold it in causing the meter to be pushed about an inch inside the case.  I was warned MFJ QC was awful and many had to work on units before using them but I never dreamed it was THIS bad.  I took the top off, found the rattle. It was the screw, spacer and flat round washer for the cross meter so I fixed that first.  I then went around to check the other screws and just on the back I found 5 screws ranging from a little snug to just about to fall out on the floor loose and I tightened those up, one being one side of the SO-239 for the transceiver input.  After checking the PCB I found one of the screws had been cross threaded and then left just as it was.  I very carefully unscrewed it and managed to get it out and then screwed back in correctly and snug. After another hour of inspecting the board for bad solder joints etc I finally cleaned it up and got it back together and believe it or not...the thing works like a champ!!  I'm not upset because I expected this but I truly hate it for folks who either do not have the E/E experience to repair these type things or an older person who cannot see good enough anymore to see all that was wrong.  If I had hooked my AL-572 to this unit and put juice on it without fixing it first I truly feel the fire department would have responded in short time so please people, if you are not able or do not feel like repairing all of what is needed due to MFJ's awful QC you might want to consider another make and model but if you are up to a little work the MFJ-998 is a good AT and does all I will ever need it to do.
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »

I suspect most MFJ stuff is designed and engineered with a sharp pencil.  It is priced to appeal to the average ham. I wonder if hams would be willing to pay the extra cost of added quality control or inspections?  Hams are cheap. That's why most of the local ham stores (and when I started there ham stores in every major city!!!) have gone out of business.

Ham that can afford Alphas buy Alphas. Hams that can afford an AL-80B buy an AL-80B... and the majority work as designed.

Pete
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: April 12, 2015, 09:26:41 AM »

Things I like about MFJ, based on my experience.
1. No secret sauce in their products. The circuit diagram is right there in the manual. I will NOT buy a "black box"!
2. They sell parts for almost everything and at reasonable prices. I can buy stuff for home brew projects from MFJ that would cost much more elsewhere, if available.
3. The service department is responsive.
4. Because their stuff is affordable and documented, I am more inclined to customize it to best suit my needs.

MFJ stuff is what it is. Why expect DX Engineering construction quality at MFJ prices? Why not expect good(complete) documentation from everyone?

73, Bob ah7i/w4
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:29:12 PM by AH7I » Logged
KB0RDL

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:02 AM »

Some of their products have lasted and worked well and some were absolute dogs.  The dogs were exceptional in how poorly they were assembled, as though they hired disinterested teenagers to solder complication devices together. 

What keeps them going is their massive advertising campaign, their wide range of products and slightly lower prices.  There are a few items that are only available through them.  I ALWAYS check EHAM reviews before I buy anything from them.  If it's poorly reviewed, don't buy it there.  If you buy it and don't like it, send it back.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »

Things I like about MFJ, based on my experience.
1. No secret sauce in their products. The circuit diagram is right there in the manual. I will NOT buy a "black box"!
2. They sell parts for almost everything and at reasonable prices. I can buy stuff for home brew projects from MFJ that would cost much more elsewhere, if available.
3. The service department is responsive.
4. Because their stuff is affordable and documented, I am more inclined to customize it to best suit my needs.

MFJ stuff is what it is. Why expect DX Engineering construction quality at MFJ prices? Why not expect good(complete) documentation from everyone?

73, Bob ah7i/w4

Much as I personally detest MFJ, I think these are good points.  Adding to them....Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood aren't willing to produce the product variety of MFJ, so they do fill a void.....well, such as they do. 
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: May 28, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »

Where is all this broken MFJ stuff? I could use an inexpensive 259. Maybe one with bad diodes. With the two way shipping and the repair charge, sending it to MS may not make economic sense. For context, BG8HH's Mini60 with bluetooth is $150, NEW, delivered. I'm in Atlanta for a while.

Actually, there is other MFJ stuff that might appeal in non-working form if at the right price. What have you got?

So far the only deal I've been able to find on broken MFJ was a 1025. It had a RF burn on the circuit board. Fixed it up with parts from an old IBM PC network card that may have more RF parts than a Flex transceiver and adjusted for inflation cost more than Flex's top of the line.

73, Bob ah7i/w4
AH7I

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: May 28, 2015, 07:08:44 PM »

IMO, the best way to buy MFJ stuff is to pick a dealer and stick with him. If you do get something that needs more than a little tweak, a good dealer will go to bat for you with the service dept. and get your repair expedited. That has been my experience.
73, Bob ah7i/w4
Pages: Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: