The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another "What's a good used rig for digital&q  (Read 2551 times)
KF4HEY

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2002, 02:28:29 PM »

Please pardon another question about what's the best used rig for digital ops.  This is not a question about specifications or features.  I know or have access to the specs on nearly all radios built in the past 20 years.  I have been working digital modes since 1999 with my trusty old Ten-Tec Omni C.  It is frequency stable but has the maddening problem of a ~20Hz Tx/Rx offset.  This is not too bad with some of the PSK31 packages with selectable TX offsets but it drives me crazy when working Hell, MFSK16, Throb, etc.

So here is my question:  What radio(s) in the $500 area are known to have <5Hz Tx/Rx offsets after initial warm up.  I would like to find one soon before the XYL spends all my annual bonus.

73 and Tnx in advance,
Mike KF4HEY  
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2002, 03:43:53 PM »

Hey Mike...

I worked Pactor and then all the sound card modes with an FT-840 for 8 years. I recently (last April) upgraded to an FT-920. I had good luck with that little mobile rig for digi operation. I keep it as a standby, just in case the 920 ever needs to get serviced. The only real negative is that you must go into the radio from the MIC connector for audio input and PTT. (Not a problem if the rig is only for digi modes.) Definitely get the CAT converter cable to run this feature with the MixW program! The receiver is not quite as good as the FT-920 and there is no ATU built-in, but you did say around $500...
KF4HEY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2002, 04:58:56 PM »

Griff,

Thanks for the reply.  I posted a similar question on the WM2U Elmer Yahoo group and got a similar recommendation.  

I just got an offer from an acquaintance to sell me his TS 140S with power supply for $300.  Does anyone have experience with this rig on digital modes?

Mike
WB2YZX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2002, 08:10:28 AM »

Ive been using a 140 for 11 years on packet, amtor, pactor, rtty, etc. The price is right and its a reliable rig. I work 90% digital with a dipole in the attic. Gets me around the world. The only hassle is the 13 pin accessory jack in the rear for a tnc. I just cut the ends off resistors and solder the cable to'em and slide the leads in the holes. Ive been using it lately for sstv. 300 bucks? Go for it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: