The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All set up! now what?  (Read 3550 times)
N7ZDR

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2002, 09:52:44 AM »

Looks like i got everything set up right and am getting good psk signals. Am running a rigblaster plus and FT757. I have tried to anwser a few CQs but no response. Power is about 30 watts, mic gain set for normal ssb, wave and volume on pc about half way. Ok do you use LSB, USB or CW mode? How about the transmit frequency? do i need to set that  and how. I am useing WinPsk. Tuning to 14070.15, it looks like several PSK signals are there, do i use start calling CQ there over all the other signals(i would think not) thanks for the help larry
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2002, 01:38:13 PM »

Your rig should be set for USB.  Make sure that your not over driving the transmitter with audio from the sound card.  Over driving will cause bad IMD, and others may not be able to copy you or splatter a signal over the band.  Do not use the transmitt audio processor or compressor, and no ALC action, see 3.2 in the help file.  There should be a macro for CQ, an other often used shortcuts.  Read the help files that came with the software that should get you going on PSK.
N7ZDR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2002, 05:34:08 PM »

thanks for the replie. Been messing with it all day now and not getting now where. Ok when you transmit back to someone will this key the radio all the time while i am typeing. as it is now, i have to shuttle back a forth between trans. and receive. is this normal? Or should the rig start keying as soon as i start the type if not use the shortcuts thanks larry
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2002, 07:53:19 PM »

You need to click on the TX button to transmit.  The text is stored in a buffer until you click transmit, allowing one to type something while the other station is transmitting, but also after the buffer text is sent you can keep typing and that text will be sent until you release the transmit button.  Also the transmit frequency is the same as the station your receiving, the "stream" that you clicked on.  I have not used WinPsk but most of the PSK software operates about the same. It is best that you read the help files, that comes with the software, you can get a lot of operating tips from them.  Also do a search on PSK here at the ham links on eham, there is a lot of information out about this fun mode.

See you on the air, 20 meters is where I am a lot.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2002, 08:00:03 PM »

On calling CQ you want to find a empty spot, listen first to see if the frequency is in use, click on a empty spot in the waterfall and send the CQ macro.
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2002, 01:50:47 PM »

PSK31 (not QPSK31) does not not care if you are LSB or USB, but the convention is USB for sound card modes. Assuming there is no off-set in your XCVR, then you will be on the right frequency as long as you can decode and read the other stations text. Even if you are over driving the MIC input, another station can read your text and give you a report. Make sure you are getting output and you will detect a slight power shift as the PSK31 signal is transmitted. I bet you have figured it out by now...?
N7ZDR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2002, 09:42:14 PM »

thanks guys! and yep, made a contact yesterday! OHBOY It was quite hard to think of something to type, as it was happening so fast. Looks like i really need to get the macros all filled up with the basic information. the thing thats go me now is there is hardy any meters moveing at all! ( about 10 watts output). This could get really fun!??? thanks Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: