The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote operation ready full power amp  (Read 6357 times)
W4LI

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »

Hello and thanks in advance for advice and experience.

I am setting up my station so I can use it remotely from alternate QTH and while traveling. I have an icom 7600, steppir BigIR, and use Ham radio deluxe. I have worst case SWR of about 2.4:1 on 40 meters. I'm playing with remotehams, but will likely try other remote control set ups. I will also have an addressable power strip, but not planned for the 240 outlet dedicated to an amp.  I have Remote Desktop access to the PC as needed.

I presently use an ameritron AL-80b. It works well, has dedicated 240V, but is of no use when remote.

I, therefore, have been looking for auto-tune, full power amps, ideally with some remote software, that via the PC, can be used to check status, configuration, etc. if needed.

So far, I've found the alpha 9500 and expert amps 2k-fa seem like the best fits. I've looked at models from THP and Acom as well, but may have missed some options. I like the expert for features and positive control via CI, but alpha seems likely to be more robust and doesn't use or rely on anything other than coax and a send relay line. I prefer an ALC line, just as a safeguard - which I believe alpha doesn't use, and the expert does.

I'd appreciate thoughts on these options as well as others I may be missing.

73, Dan Hoogterp, W4LI

W4LI - Dan Hoogterp
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:13 PM »

The Icom PW-1 might be a solid state option.  It does have an internal auto tuner and is remote controllable.
W4LI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:51:31 AM »

The Icom PW-1 might be a solid state option.  It does have an internal auto tuner and is remote controllable.

Thanks - I  should have mentioned that one too.  I've avoided the PW-1 in case I switch to another transceiver at some point.  I really like ICOM, but don't want to get disproportionally tied to it.  I suspect getting the PW-1 to operate with other product lines gets iffy if I'm expecting fully automatic control.

That said, if the integration and remote operation is enough better, it definitely should be on my list.

Thanks,
Dan, W4LI

W4LI - Dan Hoogterp
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »

1k-fa, 2k-fa, and forthcoming 1.3-fa are much newer options than the Icom.
A
KPA500 with KAT500 are probably even better if 600W is enough.
Ignacy, NO9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: