The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interface problems - Plese help :)  (Read 2575 times)
KB9YKG

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2001, 05:11:36 PM »

Hi, I have been interested in packet for some time now.  I was finally able to pick up a tnc the other day at a great price.  It is a kantronics kpc-2.  I made the interface cable to connect it to my icom 820.  The tnc also had a 25 pin rs 232 port to be connected to my computer.  My computer has the standard 9 pin serial port.  I got an adapter, and connected the two together.  I downloaded buxterm from packetradio.com.  The rcv light comes on when i am receiving a signal on the radio, so the tnc/820 interface appears to be working.  However, I cant get buxterm to do anything.  I try sending ctrl C and nothing happens, also, nothing ever comes across the screen when other packet stations are present.  I know its just a configuration problem, but I'm not sure what to try now.  I am running windows 98 on a pentium 200 machine.  Will the dos based software work with win98?  Do I have to tell the software what com port to use?  I'm really not sure whats going on with this thing, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2001, 05:41:33 PM »

Hi, I'm not familiar with the Kantronics line, but you do have to tell the software which comm port you are using, what the baud rate is and the parity/stop bit info.  

Steve, KE4MOB
KB9YKG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2001, 10:51:55 AM »

At this point, I have tried two different software apps, changing comports, changing baud rates, changing cables from the computer to the tnc, changing ports on the computer...still nothing...any ideas anyone???
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2002, 10:35:28 AM »

I would do a hard boot to the KPC-2. Inside it is a jumper I forget what it's labeled but you pull it off or put it on which ever and power it up and you should set it reset on your screen with a TNC program running. Those things lock up if someone tries to use a terminal program incompatable .

It should say somehthing about this in owners manual.
Bob KAØMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: