The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTTY & DOS --elementary question  (Read 3186 times)
X-N3CLO

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2002, 10:01:58 AM »

I am about to get my General back after 10 years' lapse.  I haven't much cash on hand, so need to do things on the cheap.

I"m interested in experimenting with digital RTTY.  My question: Is there a program that will do RTTY, based in Windows 3.1 (!) or DOS, that will work through the sound card?

If such a chimera exists -- where does one find the cable that would connect the serial port (or whatever . . ) to a boat anchor like the Kenwood TS 520, or the Omni D?  (As you can see, I hope to avoid the modem or other extra hardware, trying to work with what's available: my 486 (XYL won't let me use the nice computer) and the XCVR.
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2002, 11:34:45 AM »

There are good opertunities to get your RTTY station started with an old PC and home made interface cable. It is hard to find these programs for a 16 bit windows OS but they are available if you use WIN95/98 or DOS. All that info is on the web and a good start for info is at http://home.teleport.com/~nb6z/start.htm
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2002, 10:22:21 PM »

There used to be something called "rttyblaster" or somethingf similar.  Look around with Google, get on QRZ.com and look for the downloads there, and CERTAINLY go to "dxzone" and do a search there.  

There most CERTAINLY is some dos based rtty stuff still out there.
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2002, 10:14:33 PM »

If I were you, I'd look around on eBay for some old RTTY terminal gear like was used in the early 80's...some of the older HAL stuff comes to mind.

Steve, KE4MOB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: