The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB-102  (Read 16748 times)
KK4SWD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:14:35 PM »

I gave $100.00 for the sb102, sb-200, sb-650, swr meter and freq meter.  So I could be fixing  equip the rest of my natural born days, or some of this stuff may work once I get the xcvr going.  and your right I am enjoying the repairing (for now that is)  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:16:39 PM by NEEDONE » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 07:18:58 AM »

Just found a BIG leak,lol a open 7 watt resistor that reduces down 350v 2500ohms I think it was 350v into the resistor and notta coming out...

Make sure the end with zero volts is not tied to chassis gnd...
KD0ILM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »

I was where you are and found that by using this forum and going over the radio piece by piece, resistor by resistor etc. in a methodical way I have worked most of the bugs out. The big bonus was that with each thing I did I learned a lot. Sometimes I did not understand the instructions but it was because I did not understand what the end goal was. Guys here helped with that as well.

Good 5% resistors are so cheap that I have replaced any that were out by 5%. My idea was to bring it closer to design values one inch at a time. I found many that were 50% out. For example I had all kinds of S-Meter problems until I finally took the board out and replaced all of the resistors. (some cannot be replaced with the board in place )Some were within tolerance but since the board was out it was easy to put in good modern components. It now works like a champ, very satisfying.

I also have a spare set of tubes that I have substituted as a trial one by one to see if that helped. I bought them because I have several that are in line to rebuild after this one. I should point out that by the time I am done I will have more money in the radio than I could get on EBay, but what I have learned and the fun and satisfaction I have had  far outweigh any financial considerations.

Keep at it you are definitely on the right track. BTW if you need a builders manual contact me by PM and I will email you one.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »

Good 5% resistors are so cheap that I have replaced any that were out by 5%. My idea was to bring it closer to design values one inch at a time. I found many that were 50% out. For example I had all kinds of S-Meter problems until I finally took the board out and replaced all of the resistors. (some cannot be replaced with the board in place )Some were within tolerance but since the board was out it was easy to put in good modern components. It now works like a champ, very satisfying.

If they were that far out and most of them were, I would replace them all. The other ones won't be too far behind.
KK4SWD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 06:26:12 AM »

I was where you are and found that by using this forum and going over the radio piece by piece, resistor by resistor etc. in a methodical way I have worked most of the bugs out. The big bonus was that with each thing I did I learned a lot. Sometimes I did not understand the instructions but it was because I did not understand what the end goal was. Guys here helped with that as well.

I also have a spare set of tubes that I have substituted as a trial one by one to see if that helped. I bought them because I have several that are in line to rebuild after this one. I should point out that by the time I am done I will have more money in the radio than I could get on EBay, but what I have learned and the fun and satisfaction I have had  far outweigh any financial considerations.

Keep at it you are definitely on the right track. BTW if you need a builders manual contact me by PM and I will email you one.

A spare set of tubes could be quite helpful, as I'm still looking for a local tube tester.  Is there a place to buy them that has a good selection and priced reasonable.  Looking at the replacement prices in the book, lol $1.10 per tube, I doubt that is what they go for now.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:49 AM »

Brace yourself, I was looking at 6HS6's on ebay the other day @ 30.00 ea.

Other 'tube' dealers were charging about the same.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »

Just keep yer eyes open at the hamfests and swapmeets, if you see a 6HS7 somewhere at a deal, that's the time to buy it and try it in that first RF stage. 
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 06:14:04 AM »

I got some tubes for my 390A from these guys.  They seemed as reasonable as anyone. http://www.tubesandmore.com/  Otherwise you'll have to frequent the hamfests and like.  At least they guarantee them.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »

I actually looked there. Had a 'fair' price on 6HS6 unfortunately they don't have any left  Tongue
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:14 AM »

Okay, ya made the old man get up and go to the bookshelf. 

(Blowing away the dust...) 

Here is the list I have, from eons ago, from a galaxy far, far, away, in order of gain from highest to lowest, that can sub for the 6HS7: 

6FG5, 6EW6, 6DK6, 6CY5, 6CF6, 6CE5, 6CB6A, 6CB6, 6AU6, 6HR6 

Note how far down the list in order of gain the 6AU6 falls. 

Anything before it should be an improvement in those holes. 

Some may be selling for much less than others, or may be found in the bins at those hamfests, you might copy down the numbers on the back of a calling card and keep 'em in yer wallet, ready for the day you see that old timer with the big box fulla new old stock bottles, "take any for a dollar ea" ...

KK4SWD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »

Took my tests for  tech, and passed it two weeks ago and today I passed the General.  So NEEDONE got one.lol     KK4SWD
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »

Grats, hope to meet you on the air.
KK4SWD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »

Grats, hope to meet you on the air.

Thanks Likewise..
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2013, 05:13:33 PM »

Congrats, +1  

K4JPN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2013, 01:58:23 PM »

I have a collection of Heath Service Bulletins for the HW1-101, SB-100, SB-101 and SB-102, in addition to the mods I developed and borrowed from other Heath fans of these rigs.  The HW-100 series and SB-100 series are all basically the same rig.

http://www.thewinstonator.com/ham%20radio%202.htm

Steve K4JPN
http://www.thewinstonator.com/K4JPN.htm
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: