The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference btwn packet and aprs  (Read 2881 times)
KC8SBV

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2002, 11:48:20 AM »

I understand this much: Packet is text based communication of two hams using computers. How does APRS relate to packet? Does APRS incorporate packet features and add positioning? Can I do APRS without GPS?

And since I read all the time, what is a good web site or book for this?

Vy 73,
Ed
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 08:32:50 PM »

Check out TAPR: http://www.tapr.org/tapr/index.html
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2002, 08:07:34 PM »

Packet is a "mode".  APRS is one of the
uses of packet.

73 de Ronnie

KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2002, 10:54:23 AM »

Ok, and thanks. TAPR helped. It has sunk in, probably not deep enough. I got a Buxcomm Rascal on the way. But now another question:

What software to do BBS, messagesing, etc. with a sound card TNC? I had and older version of AGW's packet engine running on my Pent 233, using Win 95. The latest version of AGW packet engine complains of my winsock2 not being up to date. I have tried to update it to no avail.

Thanks,
Ed
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2002, 07:53:57 PM »

There is a patch for Winsock on the AGWPE web page.
Also download the current version of AGWPE: http://www.raag.org/sv2agw/inst.htm
KC8SBV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2002, 11:39:17 AM »

Win95 updating is a tangled mess apparently requiring cookbook instructions, which I found in Yahoo group SV2AGW where I will post further frustrations.

I am going to install a spare hard drive, and see if installing and updating Windows will fix the problem. Lots of work if it does, as I will have to rebuild the main hard drive.

Thanks for all the responses.

Vy 73,
Ed
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2002, 01:12:52 PM »

Packet and APRS are related in that they relay packets of information, but do so to differing extents and capabilities.

Packet is in its most basic form the relay of two connected stations.  Connected is the key term.  Station A must connect to station B before communications take place.  Data flow is two way, with data going from A to B and ACK's (acknowlegements) going from B to A as data is recieved correctly.  

Not so with APRS.  Basically, the APRS transmitter transmits blindly to anyone that will listen...no connection is required.  The "here I am" data burst made by an APRS transmitter is then repeated by APRS-repeaters--much like a voice CQ on a linked FM repeater system.

Steve, KE4MOB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: