The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PK 232 upgrades VS Rig Blaster  (Read 2074 times)
WA7PS

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2002, 03:52:43 PM »

I have a PK 232 which is upgradable for packet-mailbox and DSP. It will work on packet as is, but does not have mbx. I also have the Rig Blaster Plus which I use on PSK and will work on other modes.

Since I have the Rig Blaster, would there be any advanatage to upgrading the PK 232 to get DSP? Does PK 232 w/DSP have any advantage over the Rig Blaster or visa versa?

Ultimately, what I am after is a variety of options for the different modes, but more importantly something along the lines of ClearSpeech for filtering out background noise. It sounds like the PK 232 w/DSP will do that. It also sounds like Rig Blaster has that potential but I have not found the software for it.

Thanks
Paul
wa7ps
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 09:36:30 AM »

The soundcard program you might be looking for is Chromasound.  This is an audio DSP program that has the standard noise reduction options, as well as the ability to create and save various filters for any mode you think of.  This will operate through your rig blaster.

As far as the 232 goes.  I am not sure about using it as a SSB DSP unit.  I know that the DSP units have sharp DSP filters for the digital modes as well as 100 and 200 Hz filters for CW, but I don't know about using them as all around audio DSP filters.

You will find that the DSP on MCP's finds its best use when dealing with HF burst modes, ie AMTOR and PacTor.  I have not noticed much of a difference when I am using FM Packet.  The mailbox however, might be useful, depending on the packet activity in your area.

I use my MCP's primarily for either packet, or HF burst modes.  Even when I use RTTY, i usually stick with the soundcard and its audio DSP.  

So unless you plan on using PacTor a great deal, you probably want to look into Chromasound and the mailbox card first.  

Jeremy N1ZZZ
WA7PS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 10:42:53 AM »

Where can I find Chromasound???
If I follow any links they go no where.

Can anyone email me a copy please.

thanks

wa7ps@arrl.net
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2002, 11:57:11 AM »

If you are using the sound card modes (like PSK31, MFSK16, Hell or any mode that is processed with a PC sound card) you are already using a DSP front end as good or better than the one you will get with an up grade to your PK232. (Note that the RigBlaster is simply an interface device and does not filter, process or effect the actual data you send/receive.) The only thing you would not get from the sound card digital program is any modes that are exclusive to your PK232 (like Pactor ARQ).
You might want to read the postings on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixw/ to learn more about what is available and what is being planned for the future of sound card modes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: