The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dummy Load recommendation?  (Read 15674 times)
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 11:27:44 AM »

When you go to the drug store to get that mineral oil, tell the pharmacist it's for your constipated elephant.  You'll probably get a discount... or thrown out.
 - Paul

LOL.  oh too funny. Just google "man head stuck in elephant"  video that's what this reminded me of.   Grin
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 12:53:29 PM »

Feed store is a good place to get mineral oil at a better price, but a lot of folks live in the city. 

When I mentioned the pharmacy, I was thinking the "bigbox" pharmacies where you might find a bit better pricing than the smaller mom 'n pop pharmacies. 

But as also mentioned, even better is real transformer oil, a bit of detective work to find the place near you where the power company people deal with the big tranformers, a gift of gab and a nice attitude, they usually will fill yer gallon can for free.  Offer something anyway, or give him a beer...

W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »

Mineral oil is probably OK for lower power levels, but I would be afraid to use it inside my Cantenna at the legal limit. (The Cantenna was never rated at 1500 watts.) Transformer oil conducts heat away from that little 50 watt resistor at a substantially higher rate.

But maybe I worry too much. :-)

WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »

Mineral oil is probably OK for lower power levels, but I would be afraid to use it inside my Cantenna at the legal limit. (The Cantenna was never rated at 1500 watts.) Transformer oil conducts heat away from that little 50 watt resistor at a substantially higher rate.

But maybe I worry too much. :-)

I was getting my oil changed in the car last night, and I asked the mgr. and before I could finish the sentence he said, you are going to have a hard time getting rid of transformer oil. somebody brought in some and it got mixed with our regular oil and the EPA got involved and it cost Valvoline 2 million dollars to dispose of it.   I told him I wanted to buy it and he didn't know of a source.   

I know its sold online for $30 plus shipping. 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »

I've used mineral oil in old heath cantennas at levels considerably higher than the amateur legal limit. 

Just watch the heating and govern the on time accordingly. 

As for getting rid of transformer oil, if you ever have to do so, take it right back to the place where I told you to get some.  If they were nice enough to give ya some, they'll take it back. 

A motor oil chage-o-rama is not the place to even talk about transformer oils. 

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: