The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The most powerful amp?  (Read 20078 times)
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »

I have had lots of amps over the years, clipperton L's, 811's, 811 h's, sweep tube amps, Palomar amps, RM Italy amps, homebrew amps, al 1200, als 500, als 600, TL 922's, IC 2-KL's, and more.

My current amp and the best I have ever used is my Alpha 87 A hooked to my Orion, and its a dream to use. all automatic everything a s sweet to use.  It will do over 2500 watts into a dummy load, but I usually run it at about 800 watts to about a KW.  its loafing at that power.  I also have a TL922 on my TS 2000 and it is a manual tune, but is hands down the prettiest amp ever made. ( it works well too).

A good antenna will beat an amp hands down, but a nice amp is a pleasure to own.
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

speaking of WAY too much power,  what the @%&! is going on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHnHncbUDoA

N4ATS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »

REAL power is here , this is what you call the "mass sterilization effect"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkhGNKik5Yg
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:52 AM »

A good antenna will beat an amp hands down, but a nice amp is a pleasure to own.

Simply not true. It will improve signal more especially on lower band than any antennea the average user is going to use or have room for.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »

I always thought the term "blowtorch" was a euphemism until I saw that!   Grin

KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »

Simply not true. It will improve signal more especially on lower band than any antennea the average user is going to use or have room for.

Just remember a good antenna lets your hear better as well as the other station.  And Amp only improves what the other guy hears!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »

Had a fellow who worked for me was a ham and a CB er and he ran 15000 yup fifteen thousand watts, mobile.  He was in a bronco or such and the entire back was filled with humongous 12 v truck batteries and power inverters.  He had 3 12 v alternators and several 110 volt alternators on his motor ( a big v8) and ran it to a large vertical antenna made of solid aluminumunumunumin on his roof.  he could key up his rig and dim the lights in the near by shack, pure rf overload. he use to go down to L.A. for shoot outs.  crazy if you asked me.  but he did 15000 watts mobile on the CB band.  he used his ma ticked to get stuff for his CB stuff.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:58 PM »

On 160, 80 and arguably 40, the power can be very important. Receiving antennas and transmitting antennas are not necessarily effectively  reciprocal, and a low noise but otherwise inefficient rx antenna can enable you to hear weak signals. Tx antennas tend to be such that getting the power into them is more difficult and so an amplifier becomes more important. This is not to say that a modest station - 100 watts and an inverted L on 160 - isn't going to work DX, just that it is  a lot harder than with 1500 watts.

Which is why I'm planning on buying an Acom 1500. (Because I'm too old, in too much ill health and too short of energy to build - and I have some spare 4CX1000 tubes)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »

Just remember a good antenna lets your hear better as well as the other station.  And Amp only improves what the other guy hears!

This is true but I spend most my time on 40 during day and I would have to say close to 50% or more of them are also running amps on 40. There has been many times that without a amp on both ends copy would have been a lot less pleasant.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VK2UW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2013, 10:44:24 PM »

I always thought the term "blowtorch" was a euphemism until I saw that!   Grin

Check the Emtron Website and these are Desk Top amplifers, plus the new website is now out dated so you will have to check back in the future with a lot more features including more safety features than any other amplifier manufacturer to date.

http://www.emtron.com.au/ Hope you enjoy.

Every Man's Transceiver Relies On Nothing!.  When connected to
an Emtron SP amplifier.

Looking for a High Quality Amplifier?

If you need the best? then buy the best! Be confident and in control of
your station at all times.
check link supplied for your needs in "HF" Amplifiers.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 01:46:04 AM »

After about 2kw you start to deal with diminishing returns and after 3kw the problems escalate exponentially.  At that point you stop using regular consumer gear and need heavy duty equipment to handle all that power. As others have posted you will see better gains by improving your antenna.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
WALTERB

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »

After about 2kw you start to deal with diminishing returns and after 3kw the problems escalate exponentially.  At that point you stop using regular consumer gear and need heavy duty equipment to handle all that power. As others have posted you will see better gains by improving your antenna.

I'm running 100 watts now. Just need a few more watts to punch though the noise on long haul DX.  I think under 800 should do nicely. That's why I picked up an SB-200.

thanks!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 12:04:41 PM »

15000 yup fifteen thousand watts, mobile.

And what would happen to anyone who touched the antenna while he was transmitting at that power? Bye, bye fingers or even the whole hand for starters.

RF burns even from low power are dangerous. More-so with children. Very easy to brush against a whip while a vehicle is parked.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2013, 12:08:55 PM »

Um, the verticals (yes, plural!) are always mounted on the roof of large trucks, SUVs, etc. 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »

I didn't see that anyone actually answered the original question (unless I missed it).

The "export only" amps are that way because they don't meet a U.S. requirement invoked by the FCC.  Power output isn't one of those that would restrict it.

Power gain is, and so is frequency coverage (there has to be a "lockout" to prevent use on 27 MHz), and so is excessive harmonic content at rated output -- as examples of things that are easy to violate if you want to sell in other markets but not here.

Amps that have "too much gain" are often modified by the manufacturers to produce less gain for the U.S. market, and that can be the simple addition of input loading components that raise the drive requirement.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: