The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I use DSP?  (Read 2159 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2002, 10:47:48 PM »

Back on the air after being inactive for ten years.

How do I use DSP and under what type of noise or qrm do I use it? The IF shift is pretty easy to use but DSP is new to me and I never had any kind of filtering experience in the past.

Thanks! 73s Mike
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 12:12:58 PM »

You did not say if you are referring to audio or IF DSP, but I assume it is audio... You did not say if it is preset DSP functions or a variable DSP control... If it is presets, just push the buttons and hear for yourself to find out if it is usefull for your type of operation. (I find the DSP "notch" feature in my FT-920 to be useless for my digital operation, but it would be nice for voice SSB if AM sigs were near by.) I find the variable noise ruduction DSP in my FT-920 to be very useful for all conditions. I find the variable DSP pass band filter useless compared to using a narrow IF filter for digital work, but I can see how it would be helpful for wider voice operation to reduce nearby ssb splatter.
N6HBJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 03:38:50 AM »

I have a Yaseu 847 with tunable DSP. I'm just not sure how to use it and under what conditions do you usually use it.

It has the low cut and high cut. All it really seems to change is the tone of the ssb signal. I cant seem to "pick out" the weak signal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: