The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to Get Started in Packet  (Read 2326 times)
KG7LK

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2003, 01:30:55 PM »

Hi,

I've been a ham operator for a lot of years but have been inactive and just getting a station set up again.  All the digital stuff is new to me and I'm interested in trying it.  I am pretty confused regarding equipment, though and thought someone might offer some advice.  I've looked at the KAM XL (pretty expensive when I don't know what I'm doing).  Also, I see a lot of info about sound card interfaces...not sure of the usefulness and advantages of the KAM versus the interface.  If I'm going to set it up, I'd like to be able to try a lot of modes.  I'd also like something for HF and VHF operation.  I'm interested in things like WEFAX, getting access to news wire services and CW, especially. I'd appreciate an explanation of what would be my best way to go...and possibly something similar to the KAM XL in function without such a high cost(If I'm not just dreaming, here!)  Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!!!
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 08:09:06 PM »

There is some Packet on HF and VHF, but not as much as there was about 5 years ago.  The latest digital mode going on is PSK31, a keyboard to keyboard chat mode. It uses the sound card for decode and transmit.  The most popular software is DigiPan (free) and MixW (shareware).
However MixW will do a lot of modes other than PSK, see the web page: www.mixw.net for a list.
See you on PSK soon.  If you want to do Pactor then a TNC is needed.
KG7LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2003, 09:52:28 AM »

Thanks so much for the info....I think I have this all cleared in my mind now...as I was able to do some research, thanks to your information.  Now, if anyone would like, I'd appreciate some thoughts on the best of the sound card interfaces...been looking at the MFJ and Rigblaster...anyone else have suggestions??

Thanks in advance.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 08:08:40 PM »

Check out the RASCAL: http://www.packetradio.com/psk31.htm
If you can solder, it is a nice kit, all instructions are very clear and good pictures.
WZ7W

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2003, 02:57:31 PM »

I really like my signalink.  SMT wave soldered I think.  Very well constructed and the case is cool too.  They have aprs trackers too, but I haven't seen one (yet.)  This endorsement has nothing to do with the mfr. being in my hometown...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: