The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: View APRS locations on a map with laptop without the internet  (Read 15034 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »

Can you view APRS locations on on a map with a laptop without the internet by hooking up a Kenwood TH-D7G to a laptop or do I need the TH-D72 for this? Would AGWPE accomplish this? Or could any APRS software do this? What about simple keyboard to keyboard packet, can this be done to with the TH-D7G.

Thanks

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:46:18 AM »

Both will receive local APRS beacons and with the right hardware and software you can have a map with icons moving on a laptop. With the TH-d72 you'll just need a USB cable (A to mini B, included with the radio) assuming your laptop has USB connectors. The TH-d7 uses RS-232 type serial and will need a USB-RS-232 serial adapter (easily found just about anywhere you can buy cables). You'll need to make a 9 pin to mini-TRS cable as well. Kenwood did supply a mini-TRS cable with bare ends, but it will depend on the seller if you will get one or not. You'll also need a GPS "dongle" connected to your laptop if you're moving and want to keep the map centered on your location. If you can find one with a RS-232 type serial connection (getting rare these days) you can also make an interface cable for the TH-d7 and it can be used as a "tracker+," a step up from a simple beacon, since it can decode and display position info from other stations, as well as give you a distance and bearing to a position report. Way back when I used my TH-d7 with a Garmin Vista GPS and could see other stations as waypoints on the GPS, but the display was so small it wasn't all that useful in reality.

Keep in mind I wrote "local." You won't get the entire global APRS-IS feed on a local link. However some very large areas covered by the APRS digipeaters. You usually can send SMS-style messages through local links to anyone on the APRS network (through the Internet) as long as the gateway you're going through will support it. Keying in messages on either radio is a pain, using the keypad.

The d7 will do classic packet radio as well, even at 9600bps, but the TNC doesn't have a KISS mode. The TH-d72 will do KISS if that's important to your software.

If you don't own one already, unless you got a great deal on a d7 (I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one, and it would have to be in mint condition), I'd save up for the D72. It's got the GPS built in, much more compact, and has a better TNC. It's also a lot simpler to interface to a PC too, just one plain old USB cable. That's sometimes important when out in the field.
W9CMG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »

I am not an expert on APRS by any means but have had a station in our motorhome for 10-15 years. My setup is a GPS, 2m mobile, Kantronics KPC3+ TNC and a laptop. With home made cabling, I can see other stations received by rf on a map. It is surprising sometimes how far away some are but with digipeating it can be a distance. Anyway, the only arrangement that I have found where the map will move to keep us centered is: UI-View32 with PMapServer9 using the map data base from Precision Mapping Streets and Traveler 9.0 Also, I don't have a Kenwood radio that is APRS ready but it would seem that they could be used to provide data to a  laptop.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:23:42 AM »

Thanks for the answers, It would appear that the Kenwood TH-D72 would be the way to go as it would accomplish packet, SMS and viewing APRS on a map on the computer laptop without the internet in a portable mode. And I could use a USB connection to the radio. 

So as far as software goes, would AGWPE be a good choice? But I guess I could also use UI-View32 with PMapServer9 to accomplish this too?

Again Thanks

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:59 AM »

Thanks for the answers, It would appear that the Kenwood TH-D72 would be the way to go as it would accomplish packet, SMS and viewing APRS on a map on the computer laptop without the internet in a portable mode. And I could use a USB connection to the radio. 

So as far as software goes, would AGWPE be a good choice? But I guess I could also use UI-View32 with PMapServer9 to accomplish this too?

Again Thanks

AGWPE is software to use your soundcard as a TNC. Do you mean AGWTracker? (I've used AGWPE, but not AGWTracker, so have no opinion of it).
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »

Any kind of software that I can throw up on the laptop and use with a TH-72 and track APRS without the internet.

K2ZA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »

Both YAAC (Yet Another APRS Client) and APRSIS32 will plot APRS data on a notebook or laptop without an Internet connection. YAAC has the added advantage of being platform agnostic, it will run on Windows, Linux, or OS X. Both programs are under active development (unlike UIVIEW).

73 de John K2ZA
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »

Very basically, you would need map data for whatever area you want to cover.  That data can be gotten from the internet, or by standalone mapping programs in a form usable by the displaying program.  When you furnish the location data for an item it can be displayed on your map.  One way of getting that location data is by RF input, a receiver on 144.390, a TNC or software such as AGWPE to convert that audio data to 'map' data, and the display program that combines all that stuff and produces a map on your computer's screen.
The stand alone mapping program is usually not 'free', but there are several of them out there.  There are several mapping programs that are capable of being used with APRS, 'Depiction' and 'Precision Mapping' being just two of them.  (That's all the 'name dropping' I'll do, there are lots of them.)
I don't do 'IS' or internet type APRS, mine is strictly RF.  Depending on the limitations placed on the system by the antenna and location, and the APRS software used, the range can be quite large.  That takes into account any digipeating and 'Momma Nature' and 'her' propagation (the biggy).
So can it be done?  Sure.
 - 'Doc

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: