The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meissner Signal Shifter Deluxe  (Read 27963 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 04:14:56 AM »

In Europe, VFO's caught on post WW2 much more rapidly than in the US for some reason - probably cost. Commercial VFO controlled transmitters were around from the early 1950s from UK companies such as Labgear, Panda Radio, Minimitter and Tiger: in home brew, designs such as the 'G5RV TVI proof tx' and the 'G5RV Elizabethan' were popular. VFO designs were published in the RSGB Bulletin in the post 1946 period: fairly common was the use of the Franklin circuit and then the Clapp, although I have always been dubious about the advantages of the Clapp over a Colpitts with large capacitors. The famous BC221 used a Hartley, though.....
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 08:56:41 AM »

The value of a ham tube amp far exceeds the value of that.

I do have a couple of untested CB amps that likely need tubes.

What do you mean by add on part? Any photos?
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »

In Europe, VFO's caught on post WW2 much more rapidly than in the US for some reason - probably cost. Commercial VFO controlled transmitters were around from the early 1950s from UK companies such as Labgear, Panda Radio, Minimitter and Tiger:

I still have fond memories of drifting 40-15M UK signals on my well warmed up HQ-129X in the 50's and a 2B or 75A4 in the 60-70's. At least they didnt have the almost raw AC tone of a lot of other countries Shocked Roll Eyes
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 04:18:38 AM »

I gather that some LG300s - which are now 60 odd years old -  have developed drift and chirp which they never had originally, even when new 5763s are used. The worst rigs for drift and chirp were the ones using the Italian Geloso 4/101 and 4/102 VFO multiplier units.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: