The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Standard "tor" mode?  (Read 2321 times)
AC7WL

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2003, 09:39:54 AM »

While perusing the various modes for data exchange (primarily e-mail) I noted that most, Pactor, G-Tor, Clover modes are proprietary and require expensive hardware to operate.  Has anyone here seen any efforts to create a reasonable performing, open standard data exchange mode?  I would think that with the lack of interest, maybe the folks at Kantranics might be persuaded to release G-Tor so that amateurs might be able to construct an inexpensive modem for use of that mode.  Is Pactor 1 proprietary?  I've seen old Dos programs that seem to be able to run it, but only with a Soundblaster card.  Seems to me with the advent of small, fast computers (i.e, single board computers, PC on a chip solutions) that a cheap, well performing modem could be built.  I don't think the average amateur, either while on the road or using Winlink needs the "fastest, widest bandwidth" connection possible, but simply a reliable link, and 200 to 300 baud is more than adequate for text.  I suppose the National Traffic system uses Pactor primarily, but sure would be nice to have a relatively inexpensive way of sending mail, etc. without the $700.00 modem.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2003, 05:41:43 PM »

The problem with running any existing ARQ mode (Amtor, Pactor, Clover) on a sound card is timing errors created by the Windows operating system. To date I don't know of anyone who has been successful in implementing an ARQ mode under Windows control. There were a couple of DOS programs which worked (DOS gives your program code better control over timing) but DOS had no standard sound card interface and so programs had to be written for a specific make/model of sound card.

I believe all the ARQ modes except Amtor are proprietary - even Pactor I. Every developer paid, or was supposed to have paid, a fee to SCS for the use of Pactor I.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: