The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK31 IC-706  (Read 5568 times)
AI5RB

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2003, 07:43:02 PM »

I have a new IC-706MKIIG and am trying to use a RASCAL interface for PSK/SSTV.  

Using the 13 PIN DIN socket, I get no receive, no output, and no PTT control.  Using an older RASCAL with separate SPKR and MIC controls, it does work fine.  

I suspect I do not have the 706MKIIG correctly set-up to use the 13 PIN DIN socket.  Can anyone give me a hint.  ICOM and RASCAL have not been able to get me going.
Thanks 73
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 07:54:55 PM »

Not sure why the older RASCAL works and not the new one? Must be the configuration? I have a home brew interface that has been used with the IC-706 and the IC-746 (non Pro) so not sure why only one of two work. Maybe softwate set up?  Souncard settings?  Is there software that is used with the new RASCAL.  Looked at the RASCAL a few years back and decided I could make my own version, looked pretty straight forward, audio in and out and PTT function.
OBSERVER9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2003, 09:27:42 PM »

I would suggest that you look at the pin outs on the mini din.... the IC706 has HF Send (HSEND) and V/UHF Send (VSEND), make sure that both are tied together...

I do not know about the "Rascal" thing, but I have a RIGblaster that I have used onthe IC706 and it worked just fine... I made a cable that went rfom the RIGblaster to the 13 pin mini din... I do not like going into the mic.

Now, I use a homemade version (taken from www.k6xx.com) that works on both the IC706 AND the IC703, even though HSEND and VSEND are tied together... VSEND has no connections in the IC703.

W4TME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 09:27:57 PM »

I use a Rascal with the 13 pin DIN connector with my 706 MKIIg and did not have to modify any of the default rig settings to get it to work.  Plug-play. It is an older model Rascal that is hard wired.  I suspect that you may have a bad Rascal interface.  There have been a lot of reports of poor QC from Buxcom realted to these interfaces.  If you call Buck to get support, expect less than stellar customer support (my own personal experiences).

73 de W4TME
-Tim
KB3JAU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 05:46:46 PM »

I have a similar problem with the new type Rascal and the ICOM 706MKIIG.  Buck asked me to send the Rascal  back so he could look at it.  Must be something in the new design.  Haven't gotten around to sending it back yet.  He didn't give me any trouble.  And the Rascal is a whole lot cheaper that the Rig Blaster!!!
AI5RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2003, 08:29:03 PM »

Well, I sent the RASCAL and Cable back to BUXCOM for warranty service.  He said it worked fine and returned it to me.  After I got it back, the RASCAL has worked flawlessly!  
Not sure what happened, but suggest that others with similar problems contact BUXCOM and have him look at it.
73s
K0BX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 01:51:42 PM »

I also had the same problem when I got the Rascal and tried to use it with my brand new Icom IC-706MK2G.  I traced all the wiring and it was correct.  Buck was not very helpful, but I knew he gets lots of lids calls.

The problem was solved by putting the 13 pin connector in and out a few times on the Icom.  I guess the 13 pin plug had some stuff on it that was not allowing the Rascal to work.

I have 3 Rascals, one from a kit on my TS-850S, one on the IC-706 and one on a ICOM IC-775DSP and the last two were factory built with FSK.  All worked very one once I got them going.

Joe K0BX
http://www.qsl.net/k0bx
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 03:23:07 AM »

I just made my first PSK31 contact.  Software was WinPSK.

The sound card mic was on top of the IC-706 loudspeaker.

The IC-706 mic was on top of the computer's  loudspeaker.

IC-706 VOX was turned on.

No interface problems! <g>

There may be better ways, but there are no _simpler_ ways!

[Forgive me for being so happy, please.]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: