Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Packet  (Read 1962 times)
M3TRJ

Ignore
« on: November 09, 2003, 01:30:05 PM »

Hi everyone!

I know hardly anything about packet radio but apparently if you have a VHF/UHF FM rado you can do packet. I have an Icom IC-207H, and on the back it has some sort of plug for a TNC. It has 6 pins I think. In the manual it also says the radio supports 1200 and 9600 bps. Can anyone help me by telling me exacly what I need and how to do packet if it is possible with this radio?

Thanks!
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 04:10:24 PM »

You will also need a computer and terminal software in the computer.  In addition, you will need a cable wired to go from your radio to your computer.

It sounds like the packet TNC is part of the radio that you have so you will not need that.  If this is incorrect, you would also need a packet TNC.
M3TRJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 04:41:22 PM »

I think I do need a TNC. The radio does not have one. What TNC do I need and can I buy a cable to go to the radio or do I have to make one?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 06:48:53 PM »

I'm not familiar enough with this radio to be able to advise you very much.  However what does the hookup diagram in the radio manual show for packet operation?

There are a number of good TNCs on the market here in the US.  I can't say for your area of the world.  Just make sure that the TNC specs allow you to take advantage of your radio's capabilities.  As far as cables go, the makers of the TNCs usually have appropriate cables available.  Just be sure to order the right ones for your radio.  If not, you may have to dig in and make your own.

I would highly recommend that you find a ham in your area who is into packet to help you out at first.  It can be confusing when you've never done it before.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 09:22:24 PM »

Here is a link to the manual pdf format(Adobe, free reader): http://www.packetgnomes.org/~chris/kd7dvd/equipment/ic-207h/manual.pdf requires a external TNC. You could also try souncard Packet using AGWPE: http://www.elcom.gr/sv2agw/agwpe.htm Soundcard intrerface such that is used for PSK or SSTV will work with the computer souncard for Packet.  AGWPE is Freeware, you will also need the Terminal program (link on the site) and if you plan on APRS, UI-View will work with AGWPE: http://www.ui-view.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: