The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crosley model 164  (Read 17260 times)
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »

Can you explain why you would pull the rectifier tube? It simply changes AC to DC right? Doesnt the radio need that to operate?

As mentioned previously, pulling the #80 rectifier tube is the easiest way to disconnect the HV secondary from the filter condensers while checking the transformer voltages. If the transformer has a shorted winding you'll smoke it with no risk downstream. If anything in the ripple filter is leaky or shorted one of the following will happen as soon as the rectifier starts to conduct: The plates of the 80 will glow dull red to dull orange until the tube fails - or - the HV winding in the transformer will open. Which means in addition to keeping you hand near the power switch / power plug for a speedy disconnect it's also a good idea to keep an eye on the rectifier plates for signs of distress. A tube pulling too much current will show color on the plate and that's OK in the case of some specialty tubes but not in the Crosley. You'll also note in the squidmatic there is no fuse. Be sure to add one. Three wire power cord and safety caps, too. That's a transformer operated radio so there is no reason or excuse for a hot chassis.

Some old radios were an absolute safety hazard, back before UL stickers became ubiquitous.

So you would recommend refinishing the cabinet?

Antique furniture collectors are big on patina and other signs of age, but in the case of radios the truly talented among us are not only technically competent but also know their way around the paint & stain department at Lowe's. Personally I have no fondness for dull and yellowed varnish. Yeah, it says original, but it also says fugly. There's a local club where I've seen old wood brought back to its original glory then polished to a perfect mirror finish. Think candy apple walnut. That might be a problem for a purist, but to me it says " they don't make 'em like this any more..."  Shocked

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 04:37:30 AM »

10.5 amps of heater current! No wonder they moved to 6.3 volt heaters - although they were also more convenient for the automobile radios of that generation.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: