The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The frustration of QSO w/ ham using tube gear  (Read 52158 times)
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »

Everytime I switch on my Mighty Johnson Viking Valiant (MJ2V), it's like an adventure....

Will it work?
Will it explode?
Will it drift?
Will it corrode?

Fun fun fun.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2014, 03:23:12 AM »

I have been following your saga . Your Valiant is possessed! Shocked

On the other hand , some others are so BORING ... Year after year  . Turn it on , key it up , talk all night long  .
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 12:34:17 PM »

Well you were off, at least off his frequency (humor). I run both solid state and tube gear. I prefer the tube gear because I'm an older guy who grew up as a ham with tube gear. I use the SS gear for things like MARS and digital. I remember recently tuning into a QSO and responding to "anybody else want to join in". When I did one of the hams came back and said I was off frequency, something must be wrong with my rig! Yeah right. They heard me and I heard them so what's the beef I thought. They all tuned up to me and then one of them checked out QRZ and saw the Swan I was using and remarked that I was pretty darned close using the analog dial and that the audio was superb with the D-104. I think the moral here is that if you hear them and they hear you and communications take place then the primary goal has been accomplished.
There are a certain group of hams that I like to call "appliance operators" who have bottomless credit cards and go buy the most expensive gear they can just to say look what I got! Most of these hams can't even make a simple dipole antenna or wire a mic. If it's not OOB (Out Of the Box) they are lost. I have even had these types tell me to get my old *ss and my crappy old gear of the air!
So live and let live. It’s a hobby not a religion. And if we ever do have a EMP event, we’ll see who talks and who walks.
 Wink

SWL377

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

"I think the moral here is that if you hear them and they hear you and communications take place then the primary goal has been accomplished."

Agree 100%. Whats so horrible about chasing a boat anchor signal up or down a few Hz? I think it's fun to work old gear. It lets you know what the old timers had to deal with before synth HF rigs became widely available.

Mark
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2014, 05:49:18 AM »

Those who want a radio that does it all for them could sell every bit of ham gear they own . A $50 cell phone will do far more .
Like the difference between driving the Monte Carlo Ralleye in a vintage car or taking a taxi cab ...better still watching it on TV .
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: