The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Bay "BAD SELLER" List - Buyer be Carefull  (Read 64743 times)
NE2O

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2013, 08:10:36 AM »

After numerous negative buying experiences, I thought it would be a good idea to help HAMS looking to buy on E-Bay. This thread could be a great help to buyers of radio gear avoiding potentially disastrous deals. This would be true if other Hams with bad experiences would kindly take the time to give a brief description of the Negative Seller as well as a rundown of the bad experience.

Let me add that I am in no way bashing E-bay or some of the absolutely honest sellers (there are still many out there). The goal here is to be a 'buyers tool", to research ahead of time before the inevitable "Crapshoot" that bidding often becomes.

Also, pointing out just some of the bad sellers could even help boost the sales of the more honest sellers. Therefore, this can ultimately end up being a "Sellers Tool" (for the good ones) as well. Their input would be appreciated here as well.

I will start by adding my bad experiences to this thread when I get back into town where I can give the details.

Thank you for reading. 73's, Chuck
NE2O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »

Sorry for the delay.
Let me list my negative buying experiences along with "lessons learned" beginning with Latest transaction going backwards. I can't list them all in one sitting so I'll add them as time permits. Please keep in mind that several of these experiences were mysteriously "wiped Out" by E-Bay immediately after solving issues with suspect Sellers. Maybe someone can explain how and why E-bay does this for certain sellers. However, that is another subject altogether. Also, Some of these sellers are no longer E-bay members.

Now for my fine print: I didn't start this thread to create personal attacks on anyone (especially hams). I am simply going to state the truth which I can back-up with facts and details. I sincerely hope that other buyers will do the same which will give people the research tool I described.

Sept 2013: Seller: goodehart, Item: Butternut HF6V Vertical Antenna. Starting Bid: 300.00. Item Condition: As new in box. 
               This was by far, one of the weirdest transactions I ever had. I placed the opening 300.00 bid. Nobody else placed a bid on this item. The listing ran it's course and I won it with my opener. I immediately paid for item plus shipping via paypal. A day or 2 later I get a message from the seller telling me to send him more money in order to get the item shipped. Keep in mind that I already paid for the shipping. The seller wanted more. Unfortunately, that wasn't all that was in the message.
                Because of the crazy message, I became apprehensive over the sale. I contacted E-bay's Question forum and was advised to cancel the transaction because I didn't trust the seller any longer. Also, advised to leave feedback on experience. That is what I did. It didn't end there though. I received many messages on how I was wrong and that he was doing me a favor. This story goes on, but it would take 2 pages to include everything.
                So he relists the item for less than what I paid with a shipping price that was less than what I paid.
                Lesson: I have no idea how to avoid this one.

AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:03:51 PM »

Did you pay the shipping that the seller specifically listed or go by the Ebay shipping cost?  Many times you cannot go by what Ebay shows as shipping cost.  I advise all my buyers to IGNORE (in capital, bold letters) the Ebay shipping cost and wait until I am able to give them the actual cost of shipping.  That is because I will not know what it is until I have the buyer's shipping address and take the item down to the UPS store to get an estimate.  Many times ham equipment is more to ship than expected because double-boxing brings "dimensional weight" into the equation.  I would not be surprised if a vertical, even broken down, would cost more because of the length of the box.

I am not saying the seller handled the listing or transaction well.  I just giving a possible reason why more for shipping was needed than shown in the listing.

Richard, AB4ZT
NE2O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »

I paid the listed shipping cost 25.00. There were 7-10 days to correct if there was a mistake. There was no mention about any possibility of additional shipping costs. If there had been, I would not have bid accordingly. Further, it was not just the money that was the issue here at that point. It was the context of the messages.
73's
AE4XL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 01:08:25 AM »

HI,
I have been on ebay for many years and have never been burned by a seller on that site.
I always check the sellers feedback score to make sure I want to deal with them and I read a few of the post left for them.
I am sorry to say that is not the case with one ham site on the net I have been burned 3 times on that site and do not use it anymore.
EBAY and paypal will refund your money if the item is not what it is suppose to be and the seller refuse's to give you a refund.
BUT like every site where buying and selling go on take the time to check the seller out before you buy from them,,it's your money after all.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »

Did you pay the shipping that the seller specifically listed or go by the Ebay shipping cost?  Many times you cannot go by what Ebay shows as shipping cost.  I advise all my buyers to IGNORE (in capital, bold letters) the Ebay shipping cost and wait until I am able to give them the actual cost of shipping.  That is because I will not know what it is until I have the buyer's shipping address and take the item down to the UPS store to get an estimate.  Many times ham equipment is more to ship than expected because double-boxing brings "dimensional weight" into the equation.  I would not be surprised if a vertical, even broken down, would cost more because of the length of the box.

I am not saying the seller handled the listing or transaction well.  I just giving a possible reason why more for shipping was needed than shown in the listing.

Richard, AB4ZT

I have not sold things on eBay for the longest time, but if the seller inputs a shipping cost into eBay's system, isn't he obligated to ship at that cost, even if he loses money on that transaction?  AFAIK, there is an option to not specify the shipping cost, but I believe this puts you in an unfavorable location when someone searches for the item.  The bid is a contract between the buyer and the seller.  If the contract is open ended, meaning the seller can charge whatever he wants for the shipping, then it puts the buyer at a significant financial risk.

I realize that some ham gears require special packing, and are relatively heavy.  But, isn't that something the seller needs to take into account before he lists the item on eBay?  I know when I sold stuff on eBay loooooong time ago, I would pre-pack the item to determine the package weight/dimension, or made sure that it fit inside a USPS flat rate box.

N8YQX
NE2O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 07:07:10 AM »

"I have not sold things on eBay for the longest time, but if the seller inputs a shipping cost into eBay's system, isn't he obligated to ship at that cost, even if he loses money on that transaction?  AFAIK, there is an option to not specify the shipping cost, but I believe this puts you in an unfavorable location when someone searches for the item.  The bid is a contract between the buyer and the seller.  If the contract is open ended, meaning the seller can charge whatever he wants for the shipping, then it puts the buyer at a significant financial risk".

Thank You! I couldn't find better words than what you wrote. By the way, I did research the seller. I research any seller before placing a bid. The problem with this one is one of finances as stated above by previous writer. Why not just let Sellers charge for the item, plus their listed shipping charges and add a third category for "OOPS I forgot to see what shipping would be" and let the Seller add a third charge at his/her discretion.
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 05:25:47 PM »

I had a hassle with a non ham electronics sale on ebay from a new seller.  He had nothing in his listing to contradict what seemed a reasonable calculated by ebay shipping cost.   At the end of the auction I payed what the ebay total was for shipping and sale price.  Couple days later I get a notice that I will be needing to send more money for shipping and handling. I informed him that I already paid the total bill and if he was wanting to figure out his shipping costs after the sale, he should have specifically noted that in the listing. I certainly would not bid on most or anything with a "suprise" S/H cost that could be whatever the guy wanted it to be, 25 or 100$?  He would not back down so I opened a case against him. Suddenly I got notice that it had shipped, but received damaged goods with parts missing anyway, so still had to get a refund thru ebay from him.  So now I am once again wary to give new sellers a "friendly fair chance to do good".  I don't know why you need the buyers address to figure shipping costs.  You enter your weights and other info in during the listing and ebay looks at the buyers address and calculates the total shipping cost from that, unless you have a bunch of "handling" issues to charge for somehow.  I am always close enough to exact with the estimated shipping charges that occasionally I may come out a dollar short (BFD on a 300$ sale!) or maybe a couple bucks ahead but it is not so bad that I have to worry about it.  If I totally screw up, well I eat the extra shipping, not pizz off the buyer begging.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:33:26 PM by W8AAZ » Logged
NE2O

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:22 AM »

I have been waiting for the opportunity to post my next most recent fiasco. Here it is because the item was just listed again. I with-held Negative Feedback on this transaction even though return shipping and the parts I ordered were now my problem. Now that the feedback option is gone from my e-bay, it rears it's head again. Seller: WY_ _, ITEM: Kenwood TS-830s listed as "not working" this time. However, Again, there are omissions that should not be left out of the Product Details. Beware. As I told the seller before that the transformer was probably bad. This you will not see. What you will see is a myriad of other reasons why it may not work leading some to believe it is an easier fix.
        I purchased THIS Kenwood ts-830s that was listed September, 2013 for 400.00. This was B-Day gift from YL. Seller said it had a broken bandswitch, but other than that, it received fine on all bands. Also, he stated that cosmetically it was unblemished with no scratches or missing paint. I have repaired Band Switch Couplers before, so that would be a small project for me. Right after purchasing the radio, I ordered a 3 pack of Band Switch Couplers from Ken's Website.
       When I unpacked it, l was very negatively surprised. First, it had rust spots and missing smudged -off paint. I could get by that. That was not the bad part. The back of the unit(which the seller did not supply a picture of-for obvious reasons) had been hacked. It had holes in the back with two jacks which were labeled for two odd voltages. When I turned it on it immediately went into transmit. No receive. This is undoubtedly because the -95 volts necessary to disable the finals in order to receive, were not present. This is where it gets even better. The jack holes in the back are marked -100volts and 230 volts. External receive switch?
        I took this seller at his word. To me, his words were a lie by omission. If they were not, at the very least, there would have been pictures with some details of what was located on the back. Not to mention that the thing could not receive. Would anyone reading this have bid 400.00 on this one if they had been informed by seller? Look at the picture of the back (now included).
        So here is my big lesson with this one. First, Always ask for pictures that you think should be present. Don't trust one completely just because they are a HAM. Second, don't hold on negative feedback. Tell it the way it is (good luck with the 20 or so characters e-bays allows for this). Third, Hope that a new ham doesn't get their hands on it when it goes back because there may be someone gone from the hobby forever.
73's

KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »

I have made exactly 2 ham radio purchase on eBay, and will make no more.

The first was a Palomar Noise Bridge, DOA. I couldn't find any scorch marks, but haven't taken the time to find the exact problem. Of course, it was described as working great in the listing.

The second was a Kenwood 7950 2M radio, allegedly with the tone board. I paid a good price for a radio with a tone board, which it did not have, because the seller just copied the listing from someone else, and had no idea what a tone board was. After I complained, he said that he had a bunch of similar radios that he sold for more than what I paid, and I was the only guy yelling about it. He also told me, stupidly through the eBay messaging system, that he had multiple accounts, so negative feedback wouldn't bother him. I don't know if that was why, but he is no longer a registered user.

On the other hand, I have never been burned buying from the eHam or QTH classified.

-- Tom
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:27:02 PM »

If you get burned on eBay, you can always file a complaint with eBay/PayPal and get your money back.

I bought a "new" scanner on eBay, but when I received it, it was obvious that it was used and damaged (one corner of the front panel was chipped, with obvious sign that it was dropped on concrete surface).  The scanner would also not scan.  I immediately filed a claim with eBay for fraud.  The seller never responded, so I got my money back by default.

After getting my money back, and not receiving any instructions on the final disposition of the damaged scanner, I opened it up to see if I can fix it.  It turned out when the previous owner dropped the scanner, the HOLD button got stuck.  I fixed the button, and I've been using my "free" scanner ever since.

Moral of the story: If the seller won't provide reasonable resolution, contact eBay/PayPal for a financial resolution.

N8YQX
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »

If the seller, eBay, and PayPal won't resole it, charge it back on your credit card.

I did it twice when the "sytem" tried to screw me.  Screwed them instead!

N9LCD

Angry

PS:  DON'T use a PayPal credit card on PayPal!!!
VE1GAT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 10:22:55 AM »

Anyone who claim many years on eBay without trouble is bluntly, disingenuous.
eBay and PayPal have many dishonest tricks to screw you as a buyer or seller.
They can block you at any time for any duration and even change terms / deadlines after the sale.
Here is just one fraud I've uncovered
http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/ebay/anti-fraud-protection-tips-for-ebay-2013-20130115375377.html
I've spotted only a small portion of fraud by eBAy and PayPal,  they have:
  • banned & wiped my community consumer protection groups,
    blocked me from filling claims,
    blocked me on LinkedIN,
    blocked me from complaining on twitter,
    PayPal now redirects my calls to a paid service,
    allowing sellers to create multiple stores to avoid penalty,

PS Don't trust the BBB, they allow any seller on eBay to use the BBB logo even when the seller is NOT verified. BBB states that eBay has earned (in reality, paid) to have a high rating, that applies to all sellers.

Hands that help are better than those that pray.
Science, it works.
We have the fossils, we win.
Use Linux.
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 03:03:40 AM »

Anyone who claim many years on eBay without trouble is bluntly, disingenuous.

I disagree. In almost 14 years of using E-Bay, buying over 250 times, I have had only 3 times any problems. The most serious was someone who was slow on shipping. But it happened to arrive minutes after I sent them an email. It would help if the USPS tracking service was not delayed in their updates. The other 2 were plain and simply my fault. I did not read the item posts carefully and did get what I ordered.

But I also use the ask the seller feature quite often. If they state it works, I usually find something that I can question them on that is usually not in the product literature and see if they can give a correct answer. And it would be more then a yes or no question. But it would be something that anyone who used it would be able to answer. I have found this does weed out those sellers that say it works fine/tested and works, who obviously by their answer or more often non answer, those who never used it or tested it.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 06:10:52 AM »

"I have not sold things on eBay for the longest time, but if the seller inputs a shipping cost into eBay's system, isn't he obligated to ship at that cost, even if he loses money on that transaction? ... The bid is a contract between the buyer and the seller...."

When you place a bid, the e-bay site tells you that very thing--that if you win the auction you have a binding contract between yourself and the seller which can only be broken by both parties agreeing to do so.  To me, that says that both you and the seller MUST be bound by the terms of the auction--whichever shipping costs were stated included.  He can't arbitrarily decide to add additional shipping charges to the total.

If the seller screws up, that's too bad for him.  His only possible recourse is to return all your money and cancel the auction, but then he is liable to have his e-bay account cancelled if you wanted to push the matter.  There again, with the way e-bay works these days, maybe not even that would happen.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:16:05 AM by K1CJS » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: