The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Bay "BAD SELLER" List - Buyer be Carefull  (Read 64711 times)
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 06:17:54 AM »

Anyone who claim many years on eBay without trouble is bluntly, disingenuous.
eBay and PayPal have many dishonest tricks to screw you as a buyer or seller.
They can block you at any time for any duration and even change terms / deadlines after the sale.
Here is just one fraud I've uncovered
http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by-company/ebay/anti-fraud-protection-tips-for-ebay-2013-20130115375377.html
I've spotted only a small portion of fraud by eBAy and PayPal,  they have:
  • banned & wiped my community consumer protection groups,
    blocked me from filling claims,
    blocked me on LinkedIN,
    blocked me from complaining on twitter,
    PayPal now redirects my calls to a paid service,
    allowing sellers to create multiple stores to avoid penalty,

PS Don't trust the BBB, they allow any seller on eBay to use the BBB logo even when the seller is NOT verified. BBB states that eBay has earned (in reality, paid) to have a high rating, that applies to all sellers.

You need to loosen the tin foil on your hat. In 15 years of using ebay, my problems have been far less than other web sites or even ratail for that matter.  Of course I'm selective in who I do business with there, as common sense dictates.
W8ASA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 01:51:14 PM »

I sell regularly on E-Bay. I have never allowed E-Bay to calculate shipping costs. I ship everything via Priority Mail Flat Rate, and put the shipping charges in my listing. Shipping with flat rate allows me to combine shipping for my customers, and I refund any extra charges immediately when I ship.

I am also a frequent purchaser on E-Bay. Folks, check out the seller first BEFORE you place a bid. See if he has any negatives comments on him, and read those.

As in anything, be prudent and do your homework.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 02:47:46 PM »

I sell regularly on E-Bay. I have never allowed E-Bay to calculate shipping costs. I ship everything via Priority Mail Flat Rate, and put the shipping charges in my listing. Shipping with flat rate allows me to combine shipping for my customers, and I refund any extra charges immediately when I ship.

I am also a frequent purchaser on E-Bay. Folks, check out the seller first BEFORE you place a bid. See if he has any negatives comments on him, and read those.

As in anything, be prudent and do your homework.

But you reduce the total shipping cost, not increase it, right?  I don't think anyone's going to complain if you reduce the total cost after the auction.  I think the point of the original post was sellers increasing the shipping cost after the auction was closed.

Heck, if you want to sell me something for less, I'll leave an extra positive feedback.

N8YQX
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »

After getting my money back, and not receiving any instructions on the final disposition of the damaged scanner, I opened it up to see if I can fix it.  ... I fixed the button, and I've been using my "free" scanner ever since. 

Somehow that doesn't seem very nice either.  Maybe he should make an effort to return his free scanner to the seller without the instructions.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:55:18 AM »

After getting my money back, and not receiving any instructions on the final disposition of the damaged scanner, I opened it up to see if I can fix it.  ... I fixed the button, and I've been using my "free" scanner ever since. 

Somehow that doesn't seem very nice either.  Maybe he should make an effort to return his free scanner to the seller without the instructions.

I contacted the seller through eBay, but he didn't respond.

I don't have the seller's address, since eBay doesn't provide that, and I'm not spending my own money sending back the unit to some deadbeat who tried to rip me off.  I'm not going to assume that the return address on the package is real, considering the seller was trying to scam me.

If the deadbeat seller wanted his scanner back, he should have worked with me for a reasonable resolution.

I think I'm being very nice for _not_ filing a police report.

N8YQX
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 12:20:57 PM »

Anyone who claim many years on eBay without trouble is bluntly, disingenuous.

I have been on Ebay for more than a decade, and had a total of two bad experiences...  Both solved by the use of PayPal.  I ALWAYS correspond with the vendor first, and I ALWAYS use Paypal... 

Without pointing a finger at you, I always think when I hear someone telling me how bad Ebay is, it is something they do are doing...  Again, this is not intended to point at you, just a general observation...

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »

I have been on Ebay for more than a decade, and had a total of two bad experiences...  Both solved by the use of PayPal.  I ALWAYS correspond with the vendor first, and I ALWAYS use Paypal... 

I’ve been buying on eBay for several years and haven’t had a bad experience.   Sure there are bad sellers – some show up again and again on this board.  But some of the buyers seem shaky too.  Like the guy here who bought the scanner that didn’t work.  He got his money back from Ebay, fixed and kept the scanner, and now says he has his money and a “free” scanner.   In a previous thread another buyer blamed a shill for his bidding, discovered damage to the radio he bought within the 14 day money back guarantee period, never even told the seller there was a problem and didn’t return the radio, and now says he is going to complain to Paypal.   Both these guys say they will not pay return shipping, even though they know, or should know, that Ebay buyers are usually responsible for return shipping cost. 

Maybe there should be a “Questionable Buyer” list too.
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »

He got his money back from Ebay, fixed and kept the scanner, and now says he has his money and a “free” scanner.

IVF,

Explain to me how I'm supposed to return the scanner.  I made multiple attempts to contact the seller through eBay, and he never responded.  Am I expected to hire a PI to track down this seller?  This was a clear case of fraud.  I'm not going to trust the return address label.

As previously stated, the scanner (not the box) was dropped on a concrete surface, then sold as new.  One corner of the scanner is chipped, and about 1/2" of the plastic is deformed.  This is not some misunderstanding, its a clear case of fraud.

Most of this was explained in this thread.

After going through eBay's lengthly fraud process, the seller never responded to me or eBay.  eBay ruled in my favor, with no disposition for the item.

So, I don't think I would be required to return the item in the first place, not at my expense.  But, how am I supposed to return the item even if it was my duty?

Clearly you are calling me a bad buyer, so please explain how I can be a good buyer.

N8YQX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »

When a transaction on e-bay goes bad and the seller doesn't want to respond to the buyer, what is the buyer supposed to do?  

If I was 'YQX and the seller didn't get back to me, I probably would have done the same--no answer, no return postage--it would be a cold day in Hades before I spent anything to ship the thing back.  The way I understood his post, he didn't do anything to the unit (repair it) until way after he didn't get an answer from the seller.  The only thing 'YQX could possibly be faulted on is his saying he got a 'free' scanner--nothing else.

The seller doesn't want to answer?  Too bad for him!  His loss--and HIS FAULT!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:26:05 PM by K1CJS » Logged
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 03:31:55 PM »

So, I don't think I would be required to return the item in the first place, not at my expense.  But, how am I supposed to return the item even if it was my duty?

I think a buyer is entitled to his purchase or his money back, but not both.   After getting my money back, I’d have sent the item back to the return address on the box it came in and in the same condition it came in, instructions or no instructions, and be done with it.   Whenever I buy on Ebay, I know and take into account that I’ll probably be responsible for return shipping if there is something wrong with an item.

Who is the fraudulent seller?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 04:45:57 AM »

...Whenever I buy on Ebay, I know and take into account that I’ll probably be responsible for return shipping if there is something wrong with an item.

The seller didn't comply, one way or another, with the terms of the auction and you're going to spend money to send his damaged goods back to him--especially when he won't acknowledge your problem with it?  Hey, I believe in being honest too--but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

If the seller would be good enough to acknowledge the problem and offer a refund, then yes, I may ship it back on my dime--but not if the seller wouldn't respond and I had to go through PayPal and wait to get my money back! 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:48:14 AM by K1CJS » Logged
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »

I think a buyer is entitled to his purchase or his money back, but not both.   After getting my money back, I'd have sent the item back to the return address on the box it came in and in the same condition it came in, instructions or no instructions, and be done with it.   Whenever I buy on Ebay, I know and take into account that I'll probably be responsible for return shipping if there is something wrong with an item.

Who is the fraudulent seller?

Do you believe you should return it at your own expense?  I wouldn't unless the problem was one I created (bought the wrong item, for example).  If a seller sells somthing that is not how he/she described, he/she should pay the return shipping.  That applies to anything I buy online, not just ebay.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 06:44:39 PM »

I agree 100%.

Some years back,  I bought a WW II  vintage 2 inch radar surplus CRT for my collection.. The seller shipped two electrolytics instead.  eBay wanted me to spend about $7.50 to return the goods -- TO GET $4.95 BACK!

YEAH, SURE!

I contacted my credit card issuer and got ther charge reversed -- $4.95 PLUS $7.50.

N9LCD 
N8YQX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 06:59:45 AM »

I must admit, I have never deep dived into eBay's return policy, but I understand "no return" or "return shipping to be paid by buyer" only applies to buyer's remorse.  Otherwise, I can send an empty box to someone and say "Sorry, no return" and keep the money.

I've had several incidents on eBay, where the seller sent me the wrong item, but they have always allowed me to keep the original item AND the new item, or paid for the return shipping.  This is the only incident where the seller just flat out ignored me and eBay.

Furthermore, I have never had any online vendor refuse to pay for the return shipping when it was their mistake.  I expect the same level of professionalism from eBay sellers as well.

N8YQX
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »

Many states have "abandoned property" laws. If the seller makes no claim to get the item back, it is considered abandoned. The time period does vary from state to state, but in my opinion there needs to be a claim from the seller. Lack of response to the buyers claim is abandoning the item by the seller.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: