The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E-Bay "BAD SELLER" List - Buyer be Carefull  (Read 64705 times)
KE5TJT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 01:30:42 PM »

Anyone who claim many years on eBay without trouble is bluntly, disingenuous.

I disagree. In almost 14 years of using E-Bay, buying over 250 times, I have had only 3 times any problems. The most serious was someone who was slow on shipping. But it happened to arrive minutes after I sent them an email. It would help if the USPS tracking service was not delayed in their updates. The other 2 were plain and simply my fault. I did not read the item posts carefully and did get what I ordered.

But I also use the ask the seller feature quite often. If they state it works, I usually find something that I can question them on that is usually not in the product literature and see if they can give a correct answer. And it would be more then a yes or no question. But it would be something that anyone who used it would be able to answer. I have found this does weed out those sellers that say it works fine/tested and works, who obviously by their answer or more often non answer, those who never used it or tested it.

Speak for yourself, but I've been on ebay for over 14 years and had some issues. One guy told me, before shipping the item, to give him positive feedback so it would release the money so he could pay for shipping. I told him no. He cussed me out, and is no longer a registered user. He had like 35% negative feedback.  Another guy shipped me an RC heli he said was new, it was NOT. That's all I will say. Another guy shipped me a broken HO scale train. He said it was damaged in shipping, but the part wasn't broken, it was MISSING. He told me to ship it back to him, file a complaint, and then I'll get a refund and he'll get his train back. The asshole went behind me in his feedback and put that I was lying, yet he actually had said everything inside of ebay so I printed it all and mailed it off to their fraud department.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 08:53:38 AM »

Some of you guys have to take your head out of the sand. Ebay is no better or worse than other private sales done via the internet. The only way to be 100% sure is a face to face transaction with some sort of demonstration. Ebay is no different than QTH, Eham or QRZ.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »

Yep, That's what you do! But it is OK to use a PayPal credit card because it just has PayPal's name on it. it is managed by General Electric. I have had to got to the credit card company 3 times after cases being closed against me (as the buyer) by PayPal. All three were reversed by the credit card. These were not small claims, all over $2000, but  you are right, you are right and the credit card doesn't want to risk a law suit (class action or personal) because of a conflict of interest. Sometimes I wonder how in the world PayPal and eBay stay away from Conflict of interest cases.

If the seller, eBay, and PayPal won't resole it, charge it back on your credit card.

I did it twice when the "sytem" tried to screw me.  Screwed them instead!

N9LCD

Angry

PS:  DON'T use a PayPal credit card on PayPal!!!
K9ZF

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »

I've been using eBay since it first started up...  That is a long time ago now.

Most of my experiences have been great.  And there have been a few negatives.  There are scammers out there who sell, and some that buy, just like the rest of the world.  Frankly, I've been "lied to" more at hamfests than I have on eBay...  As a buyer, I think I have always been able to get problems resolved by Paypal.

As a seller, not so much...  My most recent problem was a used fishing reel I sold.  This particular reel sold new for around $200.  On the used market they typically sell for around $80 to $100.  The paint was pretty beat up, so I expected mine to go for around $80.  My auction started at $65, if I recall correctly.  It ended at $75.  After the buyer received the reel, he complained that is was not the model number I had listed, and demanded a partial refund since it wasn't worth as much...  I countered that it was listed as the correct model number, but if he wasn't happy I would refund his full purchase price when it was returned.   He filed a complaint with ebay / paypal, and they "awarded" him a refund for half the purchase price which was deducted from me via paypal...  So, this scammer ended up with an $80 item, for $37.50.  I would never have sold this item for this price, I would have just kept it...

It happens.  I never deal in big ticket items, I just can't afford the risk.  But I continue to buy and sell many small items.  And... I never leave very much money in my paypal account...
Dan

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
former K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

--
K9ZF
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
The once and future K9ZF /R no budget Rover
 ***QRP-l #1269
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
<http://www.qsl.net/n9rla>
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Maili
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »

Speak for yourself, but I've been on ebay for over 14 years and had some issues. One guy told me, before shipping the item, to give him positive feedback so it would release the money so he could pay for shipping. I told him no. He cussed me out, and is no longer a registered user. He had like 35% negative feedback.  Another guy shipped me an RC heli he said was new, it was NOT. That's all I will say. Another guy shipped me a broken HO scale train. He said it was damaged in shipping, but the part wasn't broken, it was MISSING. He told me to ship it back to him, file a complaint, and then I'll get a refund and he'll get his train back. The asshole went behind me in his feedback and put that I was lying, yet he actually had said everything inside of ebay so I printed it all and mailed it off to their fraud department.

I did speak for myself and my experience is what it is. Never said I couldn't have problems, just stated what has happened in my 14 years of using E-Bay. Which is why I disagreed with the poster I commented to.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
DXTUNER

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »

eBay and PayPal have many dishonest tricks to screw you as a buyer or seller.

This is true, I found it out the hard way. There's a different way that a dishonest buyer can burn you that no one has mentioned yet. It happened to me last year, and it was done with the help of Paypal. I had an IC-R7000 with APCO-25 decoder up for Buy-It-Now. A guy bought it. After 2 days had passed I still didn't receive payment, or not so much as a message. So I began sending polite messages, asking what his intenions were. Well, about the third day I received Paypal payment from the buyer. I sent him a thank you message, and promptly shipped the receiver.

About 2 hours after I shipped the radio, I got a message from the buyer. It went something like this: 'I just now found your messages where you asked for payment. I don't like that you did that. Cancel the sale.'

Well, I had already shipped it. Plus, technically, he can't cancel a sale that way under eBay rules anyhow. The next day I looked at my Paypal account and found the $xxx.xx totally gone from my account. It was just zapped away by Paypal. No notice of a dispute, or claim, or anything.

I called Paypal. I was told the buyer called it an "unauthorized transaction" (i.e., not a dispute or claim), and that under those conditions they simply take the money back without contacting me. Paypal claimed that under federal law they have to do this when someone claims an "unauthorized transaction". I was mad, I was amazed, I couldn't believe it, the whole nine yards. The nut case had the radio enroute to him, plus his money. I was out of both.

It took 2 full days of making repeated calls to supervisors at Paypal to get my money back. Of course the buyer kept the radio on receipt of it and had no problem with it. I haven't bought or sold on eBay since, and I closed my Paypal account. That was a real eye opener for me.

So no, don't be ignorant and think Paypal has your back when doing deals on eBay. Paypal is dangerous.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 06:42:06 AM »

...So no, don't be ignorant and think Paypal has your back when doing deals on eBay. Paypal is dangerous.

I agree.  Paypal is a de-facto bank, but isn't covered under the US banking laws--YET.  Until they are, simply DO NOT TRUST THEM if the amount of money in question is (to you) a large sum.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »

...So no, don't be ignorant and think Paypal has your back when doing deals on eBay. Paypal is dangerous.

I agree.  Paypal is a de-facto bank, but isn't covered under the US banking laws--YET.  Until they are, simply DO NOT TRUST THEM if the amount of money in question is (to you) a large sum.

Except if you use a credit card with PayPal, you can still file a claim with your credit card company if PayPal lets you down.  Despite what some may think, it's still a lot safer than personal check or money order - even postal money order and I know that last one for a fact after losing $300 using a postal money order.  The guy cashed it, never renewed his P.O. Box, and he hadn't lived at the address he had used to open the box for over a year.
AA6ZE

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »

Go to any internet site and see how many do business with USPS money orders. They are beyond obsolete,both for speed and buyer protection.
WB0MPB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 06:53:55 PM »

eBay and PayPal have many dishonest tricks to screw you as a buyer or seller.

I know this is old but I am going to respond anyway............
disingenuous................................
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
synonyms:   insincere, dishonest, untruthful, false, deceitful, duplicitous, lying, mendacious; hypocritical.

I guess you are going to call me a liar from your statement I quoted.  I have been a member since Oct 03, 1999 and in those 17 years I have never lost a penny on any bad transactions I have ever had.  I have had to open a dispute on about 5 or so buyers in the 17 years but have never lost a dispute. More times I was not satisfied with something and just wrote the seller and they take care of it without me going to Paypal.  No one has had any problem with me as a seller as I am very honest and very descriptive in my listings.  I have a 973 100% positive rating.  I know everyone does not give feedback so I am not sure how many transactions I have actually completed over the 17 years.  So you can call me a liar but I can say I have been with eBay 17 years and Paypal since they started and have had no trouble at all with the system.  Who knows? Maybe someday I will but not yet. 

So before you make a statement you need to know the facts.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »

So before you make a statement you need to know the facts.

Here's a fact: The guy that made that statement hasn't been back here in over 2 years.   Grin
ND6M

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »

... I have never lost a penny on any bad transactions I have ever had...  I have had to open a dispute on about 5 or so buyers....

Actually, the symptoms you posted DO describe your actions.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2017, 09:26:45 AM »

You might as well added that craigslist thingy as well.

ALL craigslist transactions turn into armed robbery.

Kraus
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »

I bought the following on eBay:

New laser jet cartridges that had been in a printer so the sense fuse was already blown so it wasn't recognized as a new cartridge in my printer and wouldn't reset the "bad cartridge" fault.

A "perfect condition" flip phone with a cracked display and broken speaker phone. The seller worked on the same floor in a large company as me. What are the chances of that happening twice?

A Yaesu FRG-7 "works, perfect condition". It did look nice. The first stage was blown and the seller tried tuning it back to health with a pipe wrench. All of the transformer slugs were broken or stuck.

A FTDX-3000 that "was working but just wouldn't turn on the next morning."  The first ten diodes, MOSFETS, inductors, caps, and the related copper traces on the PCB starting from the DC connector were carbon. My guess is it had been plugged into 110VAC.

I'll spare you an additional 5 stories...

I've bought a lot of items, over 100, including iPhones and radios that were like new, and I have bought a few real disappointments. Except for the flip phone I've never received a refund.

In some cases I didn't read the ad carefully. "It lights up but we don't have the skill or equipment to test it" is code for it is broken.

The new trick is to buy your device, swap out the part they need, claim it doesn't work and send it back to you broken, for a refund. To get around this sellers will sell something as "not working, for parts only, no return" since eBay will not issue refunds in this case.  The description explains it really does work. I've had good luck with these so far.

All I can say is I'm ahead overall, there are deals to be had, but read the ads very carefully, and expect to be disappointed occasionally.

I believe someone can buy on eBay for years and never have an issue, it really depends on what you are buying.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2017, 06:49:47 AM »

If you're having a problem on e-Bay, tell e-Bay.

If you're having a problem with craigslist, tell craigslist.

If you're having a problem with..., tell...

Kraus
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: