The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sonar FS-3023  (Read 26151 times)
W5FH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 09:48:35 AM »

Just a note- The Sonar FS-23 and FS-3023 are not difficult at all to put on 29.0 MC AM, I have done a few. There are different ways to do the mods depending on what you are specifically looking for.
  In a nutshell, these radios use a local osc signal generated by a crystal mixing scheme ("synthesizer") that is 6.0 MC below the operating freq. All you have to do to put one on 29.0 MC is to generate a 23.0 MC signal, variable with a VFO, plus re-peak the RF circuits. Re-peaking the RF circuits is pretty straightforward; you may need to reduce a resonating capacitor value slightly however some sets tuned up to the new local osc and operating frequencies as-is.
  The crystal mixing scheme is simple: There are six of 16 MC range crystals and 4 of 4 MC range crystals. One of the 16 MC range crystals is added with a 4 MC range crystal to develop the 21 MC local osc signal, common to both RX and TX. The crystal freq's are chosen to give 23 CB channel coverage
  I did my conversions by removing the crystal deck assembly and taking one of the 16 MC crystals out (16.450) and soldering this crystal directly into the respective osc. I built a solid state VFO that covered around 6.55 to 6.75 MC and fed it into the 4 MC range osc. These two mixed in the existing mixing circuitry to give a 23.0-23.20 MC local osc signal.
  I am working on one now that does away completely with all of the crystal mixing circuitry and utilizes a DDS VFO to generate the 23 MC local osc signal.
       Thanks, WA5THJ
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »

Roger Roger AM operation on 10M.
The beauty of our Ham license is that we can modify a CB radio to operate in the Ham bands.
http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Legal%20Mumbo%20Jumbo.html

Not the other way around. CBers using Ham gear in the CB bands.

Fred

My Johnson Viking II had 11 meters AM, and it sounded wonderful on transmit.
Too bad the modulation transformer shorted out, it became 50 lbs of junk...

N8CMQ   Jeff Retired...
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »

WA5THJ sounds like a real amateur, rather than one of today's all too common 'appliance operators'.
More power to your soldering iron, OM!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: