The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Airmail and Winlink2000 with PACTOR1  (Read 2399 times)
ON4MGY

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2004, 04:28:07 AM »

Hi all,

I've read about airmail and winlink2000 to be able to send and receive e-mail via the hf-radio. It works via Pactor2. Since Pactor1 and Pactor2 are more or less compatible (if i'm not mistaken) I have a question.
Will this winlink2000 system work with my MFJ-1278 TNC. It only provides Pactor1, not Pactor2.

ON4MGY Nic
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 08:42:30 AM »

All pactor links begin in Pactor I then progress to the highest level that both stations are capable of. The Winlink2000 station should simply remain in Pactor I if that is all your controller is capable of.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 05:55:37 PM »

To add to the above reply, there are certain "express" PMBO's that will not allow PT1 connections.  There still are many stations, espcially in the US, that accept PT1 connects however.

Also, the 1278 acts differently then more modern Pactor controllers.  I do not believe it can use the advanced compression protocols.  The end result is that the transfer will be even slower then say a Kam+ using PT1.

If you do wish to use the modem on WL2K, keep the messages short, as the xfer speed is only 100/200 bps on PT1.  When I used PT1 on the system, I kept my total traffic under 1-2 KB.

GL 73

Jeremy N1ZZZ
KE2SD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 04:42:15 PM »

According to the Airmail website the mfj1278b is supported by Airmail.

I use a PK-232 for Winlink. Its only Pactor-1, but I dont send long emails, attachments or pictures so it works great for me. If the WINLINK pmbo your connected to has a strong signal, pactor-1 can be pretty fast. If the signal is weak their will be many retries and slower speeds. For casual use pactor-1 works great. If I was sailing the world I would get a scs pactor-3 modem(maybe!). If all the winlink pmbos go to pactor-3 I will stop using winlink, I just cannot justify the expensive scs pactor-3 tnc.

And did you know that Airmail has its own personal mailbox that you can use to have other pactor stations connect directly to your station and send and recieve email? No need for Winlink, but of course its for ham to ham email, unless you can configure Airmail to connect to the internet, which I have not looked into at all.

Heres the Airmail Homepage:
http://www.airmail2000.com/

Hope this helps.
Ron-KE2SD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: