The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MML 432/100 MICROWAVE MODULES 430MHZ AMPLIFIER OUTPUT PROBLEM ?  (Read 7186 times)
G7IVJ

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:34 PM »

Dear fellow hams,

I have TWO MML 432/100 microwave modules amplifiers, 10 watt in should produce 100 watts out.

Situation is, when I drive with 7.5W I get 50 watts out, anymore drive and the output stays the same and does not increase anymore.

Now - they could both be faulty - although I doubt it.

Any ideas ? Surely, a 100watt amp should produce 100w FM with the correct 10 w drive ?

Looking forward to any help

Thanks - Simon G7IVJ
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 04:16:13 PM »

How are you measuring the power? I would investigate for possible errors in the power measurement setup before concluding that one / both amps have a problem.

73s
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »

Is your supply voltage correct and does the power supply have enough current capability?
M0BCG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:49:34 AM »

make sure youre power meter actually reads accurate at 70cms .

try different length coax connecting leads between tcvr and amp and amp and power meter, it makes a big difference and you will see this once you play around a bit , youll notice different power outputs and different alc readings and all sorts but im sure youll find a best combination of coax leads .

perhaps test to see what youre actual drive power is into the amp when its running, ie place a power meter between tcvr and amp and also one on output of amp too at same time , then measure actual power in against actual power out .

psu  voltage makes a difference too, a couple of volts has a bit of difference , so running the amp at 14v is a little different to say 12.5v

power cables, are they big enough and short enough etc , also do you have big enough fuses

dont forget that the coax going from tcvr to amp may have some loss at 70cm , so a bit of rg58 may lose a couple of watts through it if its long enough , so its best to use cables like H100 or westflex or LMR400 etc for interconnecting cables between eqpt  .

is youre radio actually putting out 10w and not something like 6 or 7w instead , dont rely upon the rated output or the internal power meter to determine this , measure it with a known good power meter etc .

hope this helps . 73 ian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: