donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMTOR  (Read 2083 times)
W3LOW

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2004, 09:21:49 AM »

Want to explore the world of RTTY and AMTOR.  Have a computer, running XP and an ICOM 718.  

What interface is good to use?  Heard the Rig-Blaster Nomic is worth it?

Also, what about the software?

David
W3LOW
N1ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:07:16 PM »

Forget AMTOR for one.  You will need an MCP to run it ARQ and that's only if you actually can find someone to QSO with.  A couple of soundcard programs allow for AMTOR FEC, but you still won't find many takers.

The world of keyboard digital is found on soundcards for the most part.  I built my own interface for about $20 and have been using it for 4 years now.  The schematics are all over the place on the web.  I am sure you will have good luck with the commercial units as well, although I have never used one.

The most versitile software is MixW as it can run the most soundcard modes as well as a host of other things like rig and rotor control.  The "downside," if you will, is that it costs $50 to register.

If you don't mind having a lot of programs, you can get software for free that offer a few modes at a time.  Some that come immediately to mind are MMTTY for RTTY, Digipan for PSK31, and Stream for MFSK16.

Look around 14.070 to 14.090 for most soundcard digital activity, and make sure when you drive ur 718, you don't exceed 50W so that you don't overheat your finals.  Also limit the audio out of the soundcard so that there is no ALC deflection to insure that you have a clean signal.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any specific questions.

Jeremy N1ZZZ
N3YEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2004, 05:02:03 PM »

I use a Rigblaster Nomic and have no problems or gripes about it. It works extremely well and very easy
to setup. As for software, you may want to check out
MultiPSK. I use it almost exclusively for the digital modes.  Multipsk can be found at:
http://members.aol.com/f6cte/index_anglais.htm
If you'd like to set up a sked for any or all of the modes - drop me an email - n3yea@icubed.com

73 - Have Fun !
de Jeff, N3YEA   sk sk
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 05:08:42 PM »

You can build a very simple and cheap Hamcomm interface and do full ARQ Amtor and Pactor 1 modes as well as RTTY with a program called Terman-93 or AN-93. You must run in DOS mode so your new computer running XP will not work. You can find old 486 and up computers for cheap or free! The AN-93 software (also free at the Baycom site) is so small you can run it from a 1.44 Meg boot floppy! Yes, boot the computer and run the software from a floppy disk, no hard drive required. There is even plenty of room for canned messages like a brag file and so on. The software will also work with terminal units like the AEA and HAL HF modems. What this software does is turn your old computer into a TNC with a built in keyboard and screen.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: