The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AB5IG Was Not Truthful In His EBay Description!  (Read 88068 times)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »

I just won a Kenwood R-2000 from AB5IG a couple of weeks ago. It arrived functioning, but not to spec. I just opened the case to inspect and found the radio has been spiked, probably by lightning. The back of the 110v socket is burned and melted, and there is soot everywhere. I cant hardly believe he didn't notice this. I paid a premium price for this radio, thanks to a suspected shill bidder that came in and doubled the high bid at the last min and then disappeared, Radio Mart style. Since Ebay has hidden all bidders names, you cant hardly watch for shill bidding. Right now Im trying to decide if I want to file a claim with paypal, or see if the radio can be saved by a repair shop. I already have $350 invested, plus $31 shipping to a repair shop. What a bunch of BS...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 06:55:53 AM »

I'm not going to point fingers or ridicule anyone, but this is why E-bay has a policy of sales in regards to electronics that says used electronic equipment is sold 'as is.'  About the only thing you could try is to say the item was not truthfully listed, but you did get a working unit, and because of the 'as is' policy you really can't complain because it's not working 'to specs.'  That's the problem with sight unseen sales over E-bay--you can't be absolutely sure of what you're buying.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:41:31 AM »

When was the radio actually delivered to you?  I did a quick Ebay search and found: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-R-2000-Shortwave-HF-Communications-Receiver-w-power-cable-/400595809182?nma=true&si=IbRV5AkZySdo9YCCuTGdrRW1Szs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If this is the radio you bought, it looks like it came with a 14 day return policy, so depending on when it was delivered to you you might still be able to return it.  Even if the 14 days has expired, if you haven't already contacted the seller you might send him a message describing the damage you just discovered and give him a chance to set things right.   If he takes it back you will probably be out of the shipping cost but you'd get most of your $$ back.  Of course he could always claim the damage was done after he shipped the radio, but I'd try to work with him before going to Paypal.  I noticed he has sold a lot of stuff and has a 100% + rating from Ebay buyers, so he might be willing to listen.  (Some time back I bought a wattmeter on eBay from another seller, and noticed a minor problem when I received it.  I informed the seller and he instantly responded and offered to refund my money, even though it was advertised "as-is" with no return).  But if your seller is not cooperative you can still take your case to Paypal. 

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »

The shill bidder didn't force you to pay a premium price. Your own greed did. Let's make that perfectly clear. Never bid more than you are willing to pay.

Never bid until the last 3 seconds of the auction.
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »

Anybody who bids 25 times in four minutes on an item deserves whatever he gets. BTW The "Shill Bid" you refer to was placed 24 1/2 hours before your first bid. Sounds like you are a newbie who just got caught up in the bidding freny and just HAD to see how much it would take to win. Well, I guess you found out
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:34:45 PM by K9XR » Logged
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 07:24:03 AM »

Well I knew what I was willing to pay for a nice radio. Had I known it had been fried by lightning, I would not have bid on it. My problem is about being honest. This guy has a fleabay "store" and sells this stuff all the time. I cant hardly believe he didnt know it had been fried. Im also suspicious of a bidder that comes in and doubles the high bid and then disappears. Smells like shill bidding to me...
VE3PP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

Well I knew what I was willing to pay for a nice radio. Had I known it had been fried by lightning, I would not have bid on it. My problem is about being honest. This guy has a fleabay "store" and sells this stuff all the time. I cant hardly believe he didnt know it had been fried. Im also suspicious of a bidder that comes in and doubles the high bid and then disappears. Smells like shill bidding to me...

I am always amazed at people who whine about shill bidders, yet they up their own bid to get the equipment. Really if you thought the bid doubled and figured it was a shill bid then why bother to outbid him? Makes no sense to me at all.

Set your bid limit and leave it alone. There will always be other radios on the market.
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »

But the bidder did not do that. All he did was come in and bid the highest amount that he was willing to bid. Someone could assume that you were a shill trying to build up the bid especially with no auctions under your belt. Doing it that way or waiting to the last minute to bid is the only sensible way to do it. Getting caught up and trying to beat the highest bid will almost always take you to a place where you don't want to be.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »

Maybe it is just in one persons perception. I frequently bid once with the highest I am willing to pay. if I win it, great! If not, I will bid on the next one. And I bid when I find it. If someone wants to pay more...it is theirs. And if I need it that bad that I would bid high, then might as well get a new one.

An example is an Icom 706. It took 5 auctions before I got one at the price I was willing to pay.

As for the damaged rig issue, I found that if it powers up, most people say it works. Sad but all too true for many sellers. You always have to bid with that in mind as well. What is considered working for the seller can still be junk to the buyer.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 03:17:00 AM »

WHY NOT JUST RETURN THE RADIO AND BE DONE WITH IT?  AB5IG SOLD IT TO YOU WITH A 14 DAY MONEY BACK RETURN GUARANTEE, NOT “AS-IS”. 

Nowhere did you say you ever tried to return the radio.  You noticed it wasn’t right as soon as you got it, and you STILL had time to return it when you said you just discovered lightning damage, so why in the world are you keeping it and complaining about misrepresentations and shills?  And you might STILL be able to get a refund depending on the delivery date.   

So if you still have it and are out of what you paid for it, it seems that is your own decision and not the seller's fault. 
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 10:27:13 AM »

Yes, spend more money to ship it back and not get it back. I might as well spend that money sending it to a repair shop. If I could change the feedback that I left for him, I would do it in a heartbeat.
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 12:18:38 PM »

So you haven’t told AB5IG that there is a problem, but assumed he is shady and conspiring with a shill. 

AB5IG’s eBay ad stated up front that buyer has 14 days to return the radio and pays return shipping.  $20 or so return shipping is a cheap price for getting out of this deal and getting your money back.  But you want to pay a LOT more to ship it to a repair shop, have them work on the radio and ship it back to you on top of the $350 you already spent?   Well, it’s your money ……

I really think you are going about this the wrong way and your first step should be to let AB5IG know that there is a problem and give him a chance to respond.  Who knows, you might not even be out of the $20.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

Well, I remember the antics of the infamous "Radio Mart" all too well. I bid on a couple of radios he had listed and now I know that that two other bidders that showed up on all of his auctions were his accounts. When the high bid is about where it should be, and then someone comes in and doubles it to way more than what its really worth, then disappears, I suspect funny business...
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 10:40:48 PM »

I am going to try one more time although I might be wasting my time. He bid BEFORE you did. He knew what he was willing to pay for it while you got caught up in the moment and made a bad decision. Nobody made you do that, You did it on your own. You just don't seem to be able to be accountable for your own actions. You will always want to blame it on someone else. Maybe you need to grow up a little.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 06:17:37 AM »

Im not complaining about the amount that I spent. I fully expected to pay that for a nice working unit. My problem is that it is pretty obvious that it was spiked, probably by lightning. I guess he was too busy to pull the cover off and check it out before he listed it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: