The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AB5IG Was Not Truthful In His EBay Description!  (Read 88040 times)
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 10:36:23 AM »

Well, it sure sounded to me that you complained about spending too much thanks to a shill.  And if the damage was that obvious you would have noticed it when you got the radio - I don’t think most eBay sellers open radios that seem to work ok before listing them, especially if they sell them with money back guarantees.  I still think you ought to contact AB5IG to let him know that there is a problem with the radio, even though the guarantee period has expired by now.  What have you got to lose? 
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »

Interesting, I paid him via Paypal right away after I won his wonderful radio, and he still hasn't left me any feedback. Looks like I need to call Paypal and my bank tomorrow...
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »

I just won a Kenwood R-2000 from AB5IG a couple of weeks ago. It arrived functioning, but not to spec. I just opened the case to inspect and found the radio has been spiked, probably by lightning. The back of the 110v socket is burned and melted, and there is soot everywhere. I cant hardly believe he didn't notice this. I paid a premium price for this radio, thanks to a suspected shill bidder that came in and doubled the high bid at the last min and then disappeared, Radio Mart style. Since Ebay has hidden all bidders names, you cant hardly watch for shill bidding. Right now Im trying to decide if I want to file a claim with paypal, or see if the radio can be saved by a repair shop. I already have $350 invested, plus $31 shipping to a repair shop. What a bunch of BS...

That sucks but with eBay, you should always just pick a maximum bid and never exceed it.  This way you don't have to worry about shill bidders.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 07:52:31 AM »

Just got a note from the repair shop. This radio WAS struck by lightning. And whoever had the radio knew it. The power supply had been removed and someone tried to repair some vaporized traces. The shop had to replace 6 diodes on the rx board. Im betting that this guy knew this when he listed the radio on Ebay.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 07:59:21 AM by KD8HMO » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30:58 AM »

You've also got to consider that maybe the seller bought it, couldn't get it to work, and he's an appliance operator.  In that case, maybe he didn't know that it was spiked, and just sold it as a working unit because it 'lit up' when power was applied.

You can point fingers and curse all you want, but you share in the blame--you went ahead and bid higher, then instead of seeking a refund, had the unit worked on.

You wanted it that bad--now you've got it, but you're unhappy.  Sorry, but that's life--and exactly what I mean when I say common sense is dead.
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 07:18:15 AM »

You've also got to consider that maybe the seller bought it, couldn't get it to work, and he's an appliance operator.  In that case, maybe he didn't know that it was spiked, and just sold it as a working unit because it 'lit up' when power was applied.

You can point fingers and curse all you want, but you share in the blame--you went ahead and bid higher, then instead of seeking a refund, had the unit worked on.

You wanted it that bad--now you've got it, but you're unhappy.  Sorry, but that's life--and exactly what I mean when I say common sense is dead.

Common sense, maybe. Honesty, definitely...
KB0SFP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »

The seller in question is well known at hamfest in OK, TX, & MO. He's a crook! Known to all as "Fuzzy" top for his hair. You are not the first buyer to get screwed & sadly, nor will you be the last.
N9CM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 04:03:18 AM »

Just got a note from the repair shop. This radio WAS struck by lightning. And whoever had the radio knew it. The power supply had been removed and someone tried to repair some vaporized traces. The shop had to replace 6 diodes on the rx board.

Well, you are past the "returning the item" point now...I would contact the Seller and tell them and present to him what the repair shop provided to you in detail.  Then ask him for a partial refund.  Is it was a sell AS IS, you haven't much recourse unless he advertized it as functional and proper working condition.  If it wasn't then you can file a dispute and see if you can at least recover some of the repair payment from the Seller.

GL.
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 05:36:33 PM »

I'm not trying to defend the seller, but as has been pointed out, you never contacted him.
Quite likely he tested the radio, it worked (even if marginally) and that was it.
Yes, sounds like a former owner knew it was hit by lightening, does not mean the guy selling it on eBay did, likely he picked it up cheap at a hamfest.
Obviously he could have performed a more rigorous test on it, apparently didn't, and that is certainly justification for a complaint.
If he is a honorable seller he would have made good on it. You never gave him the chance.
Actually, there isn't even a question about it, eBay would have forced him to take it back and you would have received a full refund
minus the return shipping, that's how it works. Of course, its pretty much too late for that once it has been sent off to a repair shop.
I certainly understand your reasoning for feeling you got a bad deal on this, you definitely did. I don't think any reasonable person wouldn't agree with you.
But, support after a sale is definitely a mark of a good business man. If you had contacted him after you discovered all of this
and he was unresponsive, then by all means, flame away.

Unfortunately, the bottom line here is that here is a legitimate unhappy customer that didn't take the proper steps to correct the
situation.  eBay's system is geared towards the buyer, no matter what anyone says, you don't like it, ship it back. You get your money back.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2014, 06:02:01 PM »

eBay's system is geared towards the buyer, no matter what anyone says, you don't like it, ship it back. You get your money back.

That's right. A seller can say "as is" until he is blue in the face and if he says it works and it doesn't eBay will give you your money back every time. Learn the policies.

Matter of fact if he never gives you authorization to return it they will refund your money whether you return it or not.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:04:24 PM by KM4AH » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2014, 09:43:23 PM »

Interesting, I paid him via Paypal right away after I won his wonderful radio, and he still hasn't left me any feedback. Looks like I need to call Paypal and my bank tomorrow...
There was a 14 day return policy...  What is the problem?

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »

....A seller can say "as is" until he is blue in the face and if he says it works and it doesn't eBay will give you your money back every time. Learn the policies.

Matter of fact if he never gives you authorization to return it they will refund your money whether you return it or not.

You say learn the policies, but you ignore the fact that E-Bay insists (or used to, anyway) that unless an electronics item was new, in the package, it was sold 'as-is.'  It depended on the sellers wording of the auction.  In this case, the buyer did have a claim, but as far as filing a claim and getting "some" of the money spent back, (as someone else said) forget it.  It could either be returned and the money refunded--or kept 'as is.'
W4QG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2014, 10:32:53 AM »

Untrue, that is not the case any longer, nor has it been for a number of years. (that was however once quite true)
Now a buyer can return an item for virtually any reason simply by claiming it is not as described. Does not matter if the seller claims it was sold as is or not.
Essentially a as-is sale no loner exists on eBay.

It is also untrue that filing a claim and getting some of the money back is not possible. It most certainly is. That is up to the buyer and seller and whatever agreement they reach.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2014, 03:32:53 PM »

Untrue, that is not the case any longer, nor has it been for a number of years. (that was however once quite true)
Now a buyer can return an item for virtually any reason simply by claiming it is not as described. Does not matter if the seller claims it was sold as is or not.
Essentially a as-is sale no loner exists on eBay.

It is also untrue that filing a claim and getting some of the money back is not possible. It most certainly is. That is up to the buyer and seller and whatever agreement they reach.

They have changed the policy quite a bit in the last few years, pretty much all in favor of the buyer. I sort of understand their thinking. Nobody should be afraid to buy anything on eBay if they use PayPal because it is almost impossible to get screwed if you are the buyer. Seller, not so much.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »

As I said, "at least it was."  As far as an agreement, yes.  The two parties can reach an independent agreement, but I was referring to the seller not agreeing to any compromise, something that--again--used to be the case, but isn't any longer.  Guess I've been away from E-bay a bit longer than I realized.  

My bad because I didn't explain myself better.  73.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: