The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Multiple sound cards?  (Read 1905 times)
AI4DG

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2004, 07:18:54 AM »

I'm thinking of going to two sounds cards in my desktop so I can dedicate one to digital modes.  Probably the two Creative Labs SBLive Value cards I already have.

But before I get around to it, does anyone have success or failure stories of running two soundcards?
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 09:19:48 AM »

I use two sound cards for SO2R RTTY contesting.  It works well and setup was very easy.  The only problem is that most programs won’t recognize two sound cards.  I know that MTTY and Writelog (with MMTTY plug in) will use two sound cards.  

So if you use one sound card for computer audio and the other for digital it will work with MMTTY.  I’m not sure about other programs ability to use two sound cards.  I only know that it works in my setup.  FWIW, I also have two monitors and 5 comm ports.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask any more questions.

73, Jim
AD6WL
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »

Although the use of 2 soundcards is possible in a single PC platform, I have found that it usually (THAT's USUALLY - before I get pounded by someone with brand X) requires better performance soundcards and then it isn't a guarentee. In fact, I have done it before ok but I just tried that on a ABIT BH-6 motherboard (better quality MB) and a couple of inexpensive (ie cheap) no-name soundcards. The results were not so good. I could get them to work individually but when both were installed the PC would not even boot. I tried everything imaginable to get them to work and no go. So I reverted to a single card and built a switchbox for my sources since I didn't plan on running more than one mode/input at a time anyway.

Good Luck.

Gene KI6LO
N7UQA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 09:06:30 AM »

I use multiple sound cards all the time. DON'T use cheap no name or off brand cards, I have had good luck with “Sound Blaster” cards, both PCI and ISA. I have one box that uses two Sound Blaster live PCI cards, one is used for regular system sounds and the other for digital work. Another I have uses one ISA bus Sound Blaster Vibra 16 ISA and a Sound Blaster PCI 128. This machine is used as a audio signal generator on one card and audio spectrum analyzer on the other. I have had some problems with driver issues so make sure you use the latest drivers whenever possible.

Craig - N7UQA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: