The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing my first boat angchor, Kenwood or Yaesu HF rig  (Read 28914 times)
KD7IHG

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2013, 03:59:15 PM »

Choosing my first boat anchor, Kenwood or Yaesu HF rig. That's right it's time for me to choose,I'M looking for your thoughts and experience on this. Thanks
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 04:17:52 PM »

I have a Kenwood TS-520S, and TS-530S. The 530S was completely restored from a junk radio and the 520S was practically mint when I bought it. I love them both.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 04:42:10 PM »

Get one that you can still get more parts for.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »

My own preference would learn towards a Kenwood or anything that uses 6146's in the finals - but - whenever you're considering an older rig the deciding factors should be condition, features, availability of parts, support documentation and reputation of the model. There are also the subjective issues of desktop appeal and whether the radio matches your interests. Notice how I didn't put price in the list as I think it's better to spend a little extra up front and get what you really want than to go through a string of 'bargain rigs' that don't exactly scratch your itch.

It's also good to remember you've gone this long without a BA and there will be a bigger & better deal available 'soon'. Don't buy anything out of desperation because it's the last one you'll ever see..... There will be other deals and if the seller tries to swing you with a line like there is another buyer who's going to have the cash in hand on Wednesday, tell them that's good news because now you can walk away without feeling obligated.

Then walk.   Tongue

W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »

I have an FT-101 type Yaesu because it was what I got into HF SSB iwith originally. Needs some work.  You will find alot of boatanchors need a little TLC due to drift and age. However I remember when the TS-520 came out and a friend got one right off, I was impressed by it at the time. Wanted one of those, too. IF your BA has good finals, they should last awhile unless you drive it very hard or have it on the air many many hours.  As a backup and an occasional driver, the TX tubes ought to last a long time, even if spares are hard to come by.  Condition is everything and worth a premium unless you really have time and want to tinker with repairs and problems right off. I think the premium US made BA's like Drake or Collins are the best if you can afford and are looking for something to maintain or increase value.  Unless you have a particular attachment to some particular radio or brand.  Heck, if you want real vintage and the door is open to anything, you might even look at Swans, Hallicrafters, Galaxy, SBE, etc. type older tube rigs.  Harder to find them in plug and play condition, though. Some of the rigs back then were rated for 4-500 watts power, an impressive step over the common 100 watt rigs but I would be even more careful about the tubes in the transmitter being good with those.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:32:46 AM »

For receiver performance up there with the best of them (even today), the FT102 is hard to beat. BUT the relays give problems (which is fixable without changing them), there's a nasty spurious response on 3500 and to a lesser extent on 7000 which needs a major fix, and a number of owners are finding that some of the crystals are losing activity. On the upside, mine still has the 6146Bs in it that it came with in 1983 and it has done quite a few contests. It still gives 150 watts out on 80...

A BA I would only recommend to someone happy to dig in and work on it.

You'll find that older BAs may well have electrolytics drying out - I suspect that's why the 1750Hz repeater access tone burst on my IC251 has given up, and I've only had that rig for 30 years!

As '5UP says, 6146 finals are preferable to sweep tubes.
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »

If I can pick it up with one hand, it isn't a boat anchor.
Pick up my SX-101 once, then you know what a boat anchor is!

But for a hybrid radio, I would go with the Kenwood, but if you need Yaesu FT-101 parts or modules, I have a bunch of stuff from one.

N8CMQ   Jeff Retired...
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:31:08 AM »

Don't overlook the later Yaesu Hybrids that use 6146's.  I have owned every hybrid ever made incluing 3 different TS-830's yet I chose to keep my FT902DM over all of them.  The receiver is head and shoulders above any 830 because it uses a double balanced diode first mixer for lower noise.  The 901DM is good too but doesn't have the upgraded first mixer. 
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »

If I can pick it up with one hand, it isn't a boat anchor.
Pick up my SX-101 once, then you know what a boat anchor is!

But for a hybrid radio, I would go with the Kenwood, but if you need Yaesu FT-101 parts or modules, I have a bunch of stuff from one.

The SX-101 isn't too bad.  Try picking up the HT-37.  Watch out for your back and use your knees!

and since when did a hybrid radio be come a Boatanchor?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 10:16:48 AM »

Hybrid radios became Boat Anchors when they invented canoes.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 07:51:47 PM »

hi,

Buy a Kenwood and a Yaesu, get the best of both,
you need a backup radio right?

Take a look at the manuals for the kenwoods

http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/

kenwood group on yahoo  http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TS-520_820_530_830/info

Fox Tango Int'l Yaesu User Group http://foxtango.org/foxtango001.htm

73 james
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:07:54 AM »

The FT101ZD  is rather naughty on the 18MHz band, with a spurious output at twice the 9 MHz IF that, on the three I've seen, was about 20 to 25dB down. Pity, because otherwise it was the best of the 101 series.

You have to decide if you want a rig with 10, 18 and 24 MHz on it: if so, your choice is limited. Probably most rigs with those bands will have 160m as well, but you need to decide what you want.
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »

I would definitely not reccomend an FT101ZD and many others of that ilk because it does not work full break in on CW. I am only interested in CW.
Andrew
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 04:05:15 AM »

What boat anchor does work full break in on CW? Marconi Oceanspan and Atalanta, maybe?
KA5ROW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 11:19:24 AM »

I would look at the Drake TR4-C and R4-C separate Xmit and Rec or you can use the TRC-4 as a stand alone Transceiver.

The Drake was the last of the boat anchors the dividing line between boat anchors and just old radios.

There are also rigs like the Hallicrafters HT-37 transmitter which has SSB and the Hallicrafters SX-111 receiver now that is a real boat anchor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: