The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing my first boat angchor, Kenwood or Yaesu HF rig  (Read 28916 times)
W8RXL

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »

As a salesperson at Allied radio in the late 1960s I well recall , the term " Boat Anchor" first came in to use about the time rigs like the Kenwood , Yaesu etc came to market . It was often used by the people who bought imported radio appliances as a disparaging comment regarding the older , larger , heavier radios like DX-100s and SX-101s . At that point the appliance operators considered the old rigs no longer useful and having zero value as RADIOS , therefore relegated to use only as "Boat Anchors"

One reason why people like me used to get them cheap or for free. Many wanted them out of the shack because they took up room for that tv or new stereo. I remember going to one swap, buying every B-A that was for sale for cheap and hauling them out to the car one by one with people commenting about only weird people would want "that old boat anchor junk".
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: