The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Had to turn the rig off, can't take any more chaos tonight  (Read 19338 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »

I have only been a ham for four years.  Although I chase DX hard I also enjoy the softer side of ham radio, which is ragchewing and friendship brewing with DX ops.  One of my DX friend is Jimmy BX5AA.  When I hear him I always call him and enjoy a nice conversation.  Sometimes the conversation would last as long as the band is open, which might be an hour.  I really enjoy this type of activity.  However I understand that others might see this negatively, as if I'm trying to show off or that I have a 'big gun' type ego.  I agree with Tony that in this age everyone is so focused on working the DX to rack up another point of something, that the most positive aspect of the ham radio is mostly forgotten.

Jonathan W6GX
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »

KA3NRX
The international ragchew is what I like about radio. It used to be possible in the 60s-90s. Today with folks doing band fills, Marathon and what have you. There is simply too much report and TU. I used to enjoy a talk with say like Zorro. Repeated chats. Maybe not daily, but weekly. You could get on your favorite frequency and have world wide buds show up. If someone needed a QSO say with VR6TC, then we would let them in.

I used to share hunting stories with the guys in various places. Especially the southern part of Africa.

It is just not the same civil crowd.

Which yesterday on 20M SP for VU7AG led me to just turn the radio off. Jammers on his freq, jammers on the calling freqs, people calling out of district, etc.

73 N5UD

To translate your comments into the short form: It's become waaaaay too competitive... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.....at least for me, and I am sure, some of you guys too...oh,  by the by, had a nice chat with a station in Italy today....zzzzzzzzzzzz some of you might say, but for me, being that it gave me a chance to work on my Italian, It was far from being a zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

V
KA3NRX

WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »

To translate your comments into the short form: It's become waaaaay too competitive... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.....at least for me, and I am sure, some of you guys too...oh,  by the by, had a nice chat with a station in Italy today....zzzzzzzzzzzz some of you might say, but for me, being that it gave me a chance to work on my Italian, It was far from being a zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

V
KA3NRX

Hi Jonathan and Vince,

I enjoy the ragchews as well as the DX'ing. Though, I sometimes feel as Jonathan does. For example, I've worked Oleg, RI1ANU at least four times in the past two weeks. He's an interesting guy doing interesting work in an interesting place. He's also quite a gentleman & I enjoy talking with him. Yet, I keep our QSO's rather brief, because I know as soon as he calls "CQ", he's spotted on the cluster and the vultures begin to circle; each seeking their QSL card from Antarctica.

Now, I'd never deny anyone an opportunity to work Antarctica. I'll always remember my first Antarctic contact and I still chuckle when I look at my KC4USV QSL card with my "4 by 1" signal report.  Smiley OK, so I'm not a "big gun".

Still, I like the way we operated when Vince and I were first licensed back in the '80's. You enjoyed a conversation with a new friend, discovered what the two of you may have in common, and, if someone on frequency needed to work your DX friend for an ATNO--no problem. A simple, polite break in, exchange of signal reports, thank you's, and 73's.

Then, the conversation resumed and everyone was happy.

Since then, I've sometimes wondered what DX stations even want with stateside hams. If I were in their place, I doubt I'd bother working A's, K's, or W's at all. How many "59, thank you, 73's!" does one person really need to hear?

I think Jonathan is right when he mentions competitiveness. It's all about making contacts now, whereas it used to be about making friends.

Ray, WO2C

Ray, WO2C
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2013, 08:37:12 AM »

Wow, lots of jammers on VU7AG TX 20m cw today..

I picture whomever the people jamming doing this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXsVtwxc60o
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2013, 03:19:41 PM »

The behavior on 40 SSB this evening is atrocious.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »

I think Jonathan is right when he mentions competitiveness. It's all about making contacts now, whereas it used to be about making friends.

REPLY: Ray, I remember the first time Father Hill took Seth and me up to the Mellon Hall station at Old D.U. and we fired up the Twins and the 30-L-1...pointed the Mosley tri-bander at EU...and let it rip..put out cq after cq, and had piles of Euros calling ME!.......Had many a conversation that year with the EU operators on 20 meters who heard the club signal.....mostly in England, the Netherlands and Germany....and there was one time where I put out a CQ and we conversed with an Israeli station.....Seth and I looked at each other and could not believe a guy in Israel came back to my CQ..still have that guy's qsl card after all these years too......Stuff like that...when it was new....when it was more that just a contact....more that just chaos.....when it was interpersonal communications across the sea through the airwaves.....THAT is more memorable than 59 c-ya to the rarest of the rare!...and just making contacts....what a great time.....

V
KA3NRX

P.S. how was Thanksgiving?....and do you know what your plans are for Christmas?....again, let me know when you can....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 03:43:20 PM by KA3NRX » Logged
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2013, 04:07:38 PM »

REPLY: Ray, I remember the first time Father Hill took Seth and me up to the Mellon Hall station at Old D.U. and we fired up the Twins and the 30-L-1...pointed the Mosley tri-bander at EU...and let it rip..put out cq after cq, and had piles of Euros calling ME!.......Had many a conversation that year with the EU operators on 20 meters who heard the club signal.....mostly in England, the Netherlands and Germany....and there was one time where I put out a CQ and we conversed with an Israeli station.....Seth and I looked at each other and could not believe a guy in Israel came back to my CQ..still have that guy's qsl card after all these years too......Stuff like that...when it was new....when it was more that just a contact....more that just chaos.....when it was interpersonal communications across the sea through the airwaves.....THAT is more memorable than 59 c-ya to the rarest of the rare!...and just making contacts....what a great time.....

V
KA3NRX

P.S. how was Thanksgiving?....and do you know what your plans are for Christmas?....again, let me know when you can....

I remember those days, too, Vince. I still recall CW ragchews with hams in Russia and Argentina, and (after I upgraded to General) an SSB ragchew with a ham flying his private plane down to Brazil.  Those sorts of QSO's seem to happen less often now.

Thanksgiving was quite nice here, and I hope yours was as well. It looks like I'll be staying in SoCal for Christmas, though.  Embarrassed

Ray, WO2C
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2013, 06:32:28 PM »

Bummer, Ray...was hoping you'd come home.....Oh, well, there's always a sked if you'd like to do that....20 meters is OK w/me, but with Christmas now at our throats, it might be kind of tight....Let's keep in touch here and work something out.....CUL

V
KA3NRX

VK3HJ

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2013, 08:37:35 PM »

Since then, I've sometimes wondered what DX stations even want with stateside hams. If I were in their place, I doubt I'd bother working A's, K's, or W's at all. How many "59, thank you, 73's!" does one person really need to hear?
Ray, WO2C

I wonder the same with Europeans piling up calling me after I sign from a nice QSO from a a CQ call I answered! This morning I had a QSO with a chap in Greece on 40 m CW. A short QSO, as he wasn't hearing me that well. A heap from others over his way started calling me. I then roamed about the band and worked several others.
I noted that VU7AG was working up the band on phone, but as I have them on CW, I didn't even bother looking.
Admittedly, there are many fewer VKs DXers on air than in USA. But I'm still not interested in filling my log with hundreds and hundreds of "599 TU" QSO each week. I'll save that for when I'm on DXpedition.
Lately, I've been busy with work, or antenna work. Over the Festive season, I will spend a bit more time on air. The Christmas greeting exchanges tend to temper the competitiveness a little, making for more pleasantness on air, I find.
The weather is warming up at last, so the early mornings are not so uncomfortable now!
73 and may you enjoy just a little chaos, but not too much!
Luke VK3HJ
N2NL

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

Luke,
Same here.  I am QRV just about every morning but primarily in DXer mode myself.  If I feel like running guys, I call CQ.  About 75% of the time, when I am in QSO with someone or even calling someone, I will get a few callers - sometimes many. This morning I had a nice QSO with a 9H station, a new one for me on 40m, and I had a loud E EU calling me non stop during the QSO.  Surprising because it's not like KH2 is rare, especially on the bands I've been active on.  I like running rate from time to time, but often it is too much like work, especially when the band is open to EU and everyone is climbing all over each other playing king of the mountain.  It's not relaxing whatsoever which is what I'm looking to do when my kids are in bed (I get enough crazy when they are awake).

73, Dave KH2/N2NL
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: