The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Morse Learning Campaign  (Read 358402 times)
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #345 on: November 17, 2014, 01:36:42 PM »

The only thing [...] I dislike is address others by suffix.  It adds unnecessary confusion.

Sid, it is a well known shortcut for really old timers (licenced over 60 years) cuz there was at that time only one prefix in each country.

So please respect it ,even when it is bothering you right now.

It was a well known confuser when I got my first license, too.  But back then, the numeral was included - and the "shortcut" was only used in QSOs between hams from the same country.

If respect was truly an issue, respect for your audience should have priority.

K4NL Sid
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #346 on: November 17, 2014, 02:29:35 PM »

Sid:  If you notice, I normally address specific people with the call suffix only when they don't sign their post with a name, like you do.

KDW, Frans,  is correct and this is the first time I've been called on it or have anyone indicate they're offended by it.

I have no idea how long you've been in this country but FYI, the U.S. is undergoing a massive changeover to "Political Correctness." 

This, to me, is just another form of PC and I have no intention of changing from my way of doing things because you are offended.

As for "overreacting," you're absolutely correct there.  Every time I see another example of PC, I go into a rage.  It's only my upbringing that prevents me from expressing myself according to how I feel.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #347 on: November 17, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

I have no idea how long you've been in this country but FYI, the U.S. is undergoing a massive changeover to "Political Correctness."  

This, to me, is just another form of PC and I have no intention of changing from my way of doing things because you are offended.

Get the fuck out of here...  Are you serious ?

;o)

K4NL Sid
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »

Sid, you took the words right out of my mouth!!  Nothing more to add.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
WD8JWJ

Ignore
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:28 PM »

I have always wanted to get back into the "swing" of things with CW. I started out as a Novice at 5wpm back in the 70's. Almost WAS'd Went a to 13wpm General. That's as fast as you can "count" dots and dashes. I now know that you can't rely on counting or you will never get beyond 10wpm with reasonable copy. Breaking the counting habit is difficult and takes probably more time re-learning than if I would have done it right in the first place. You have to learn to hear the tone and it goes right to the pencil. It is just another language. Eventually you can learn words. The people that read 100wpm amaze me.
It is all doable but takes commitment. That is what I haven't done as yet.
To the OP, keep up the good work. Your method seems to be working for you and you will get to your goal. It will be something when the day comes that one can just set and listen with no need to write down most of the conversation. Dah Dit DAh
73, Bill, WD8JWJ
ILDARIN

Ignore
« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2015, 12:55:46 PM »

Like a lot of threads this has gone completely off the rails . . . I would like to he[ar] about the OP's Morse Learning Campaign! Smiley

I have been following the CW learning and keep check the thread when I see a new indicator.

You are quite right to object to the red herrings, for which I am entirely responsible. Coming in the next few days: an update on CW. I hope it won't be too grim. I've done no CW for weeks so it will be interesting to see how far things have deteriorated.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

I'm a little disappointed to see this thread die out...Have you given up?

I've made a few contacts with Elmers, but I've started to wonder if this is all worth it.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2015, 05:28:14 PM »

I'm a little disappointed to see this thread die out...Have you given up?

I've made a few contacts with Elmers, but I've started to wonder if this is all worth it.

I'm still here. Unfortunately Life has intervened; nothing bad, just very, very busy on a professional and family level. CW learning has been badly affected, but I will get back to it when appropriate.

It's worth it!!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #352 on: January 13, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »

Good to hear from you, Martin!

Best in 2015!

73 de Jim, N2EY
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #353 on: April 12, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »

I've been reading the separate "Relearn code again!" thread....

For what it's worth. I have now done the "relearn code again" at least four times over the past three-and-a-half years -- even though I'm not (quite) on the air yet. At the moment, after a long gap, I have finally relaunched the process and it's going great.

It gets easier each time around. Or at least, that's what happens with me. There is a "ratchet effect" such that when you get back to it after several months "off," you can pick up at a higher level than when you began the previous "run." Many of the Morse characters seem to be permanently imprinted in my "sound memory" now, and the number of ones that "trip me up" keeps dropping.

I would not recommend doing things this way; in my case it has simply "happened" in this manner because of work/life constraints. However, if -- like me -- you find that your code-learning comes in "bursts" there is no reason to be discouraged. It's not quite like learning to swim or riding a bicycle, but there is an aspect that "stays with you" even if you neglect it for a while.

This should be greatly speeded up once I'm using Morse in actual QSOs. There is something humorous about computer-generated practice QSOs with NAME DAVID AGE 15 I AM A DOCTOR but it will be much better with real people. "Antenna-building weather" has nearly arrived!

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:42:31 AM by KB1WSY » Logged
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #354 on: April 12, 2015, 07:57:24 AM »

This should be greatly speeded up once I'm using Morse in actual QSOs. There is something humorous about computer-generated practice QSOs with NAME DAVID AGE 15 I AM A DOCTOR but it will be much better with real people. "Antenna-building weather" has nearly arrived!

Martin,
I'm beginning to think the world will end before you get on the air.
If you have the time to listen to that fake QSO nonsense, why not flip on the radio and do it for real?

Doing rag chews is a bit much for a newbie, perhaps start by answering contesters just to get a taste of sending with a live operator? RST, name, state and maybe a number is easy enough to get you started. Contesting is not my thing, but I participate from time to time in oder to gain confidence in my CW skills. I would much rather rag-chew, but I don't yet have the comfort level at 20wpm to be able to sustain a QSO for very long. However most ops are patient and will very graciously  deal with my inexperience and mistakes. I really appreciate that!

KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2015, 08:08:28 AM »

Martin,
If you have the time to listen to that fake QSO nonsense, why not flip on the radio and do it for real?

I do listen to real QSOs, quite a lot in fact. The fake ones are mainly at times of day when the bands are dead. In terms of "karma" for learning code, daytime hours are best for me; and morning is better than afternoon.

To actually get on the air requires erecting the antenna, whose saga has been documented in my earlier posts. However I do think it shouldn't be long now!

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #356 on: April 12, 2015, 09:34:15 AM »

Martin,

I do listen to real QSOs, quite a lot in fact. The fake ones are mainly at times of day when the bands are dead. In terms of "karma" for learning code, daytime hours are best for me; and morning is better than afternoon.

To actually get on the air requires erecting the antenna, whose saga has been documented in my earlier posts. However I do think it shouldn't be long now!

73 de Martin, KB1WSY

Last I knew the "dig" was in progress. I thought the antenna would be up by now!

KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #357 on: April 12, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »

Last I knew the "dig" was in progress. I thought the antenna would be up by now!

Stay tuned. If you haven't died of boredom yet.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
KK4MRN

Ignore
« Reply #358 on: April 13, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »

Not bored!  We are hams too after all...

Besides, there are many of us following (or followed) your path.  I still practice.  I think getting better does come in spurts for some reason.  Not only practicing CW, but building your own radio, putting up an antenna, grounding, etc.

I do listen on 40 meters around 7.100 - 7.125 during the evening or night.  Yet, I do hear it on 160 and 80 and 30 meters too.  And during the day, sometimes I hear it on higher bands like 20, 17, or 15m.  Rarely do I hear it on 12 or 10m.  I have never heard CW on 6 or 2m except beacons.

I even tuned the General coverage receiver part of my HF transceiver below the AM Broadcast band to see what I could find.  I found various beacons transmitting their calls signs.  I even found an experimental 600 meter ham band transmitting a beacon transmitting around 478 KHz I think - the ham N4ICK was using special call sign WD2XSH/8.
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #359 on: April 28, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »

Martin, KB1WSY this thread is hilarious i started reading it when i was thinking about learning cw last year and your still here. seriously   Huh  so i started in December i have a key but its not plugged in i use  code read and software to send 65 countries worked on cw heaps of qso's infact today i was calling cq on 15m and who answered me but vk9nt seriously.
just dive in and have some fun other wise jt65 might be your thing.
cheers
good luck
de vk3meg

The best thing i did re learning code was to read the art and skill of telegraphy by William G. Pierpont NØHFF a great read. and yes i'm learning the code by doing even had dx exchanges @ 35 wpm .
Pages: Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: