The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital modes through phonepatch?  (Read 2276 times)
AE6RV

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2004, 12:56:19 PM »

I built an interface, and it works well, but I'm eyeing the Collins phonepatch I have as a replacement.  I don't want to rewire this thing, though, so that limits my options.  I looked at building a hybrid circuit to separate out the mike and speaker components, but it occurred to me that I could just buy a cheap Heath phonepatch to do that.  Has anyone hooked up two phonepatches back-to-back, so to speak, in order to get the mike and speaker outputs separated to send to the computer?  

Bob
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 08:17:51 PM »

Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, even if it works. If the interface you have already works, then why are you trying to cobble something together that will be a cludge, at best?

Lon
AE6RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 08:35:30 PM »

Mostly because it won't be a kludge.  The issue I have right now is that I have to unplug the mike and plug in the interface when switching back and forth.  I would gain nothing by using my rig's phonepatch input, as it's merely in parallel with the mike.  Also, my interface weighs only ounces, so, if I put a mike connector in it and switched that, the interface would be bouncing all over my desk when I move the mike.  Being able to use the phone patch switch on my 312B-4 would clean up my digital operation in a lot of ways, but most of all by having a single switch to go between the mike and digital.  Well, we'll see what happens when I can get a Heath HD-15 in here.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 05:19:37 AM »

Interesting ...

You didn't say what rig you are using, but most modern rigs have I/O ports that bring everything to a DIN plug so you don't have to keep swapping connectors.

Good luck with the project.
AE6RV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 09:46:37 AM »

Modern?  It was modern in the 60s and 70s I guess.  hihi   Collins KWM-2A with 312B-4 phone patch.  It just seems a shame to have this nice, expensive phone patch sitting here doing nothing.  I realised last nite that I could just send the mike signal from my current interface through it and just use my interface for the speaker signal.  But, I think I'll go ahead and get another patch just to do it.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: