The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TH-F6A with MixW, how?  (Read 1899 times)
KD7WPQ

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2004, 08:20:39 PM »

I have a TH-F6A and am trying to get MixW to work with it using the emulated TNC mode but I am not quite sure I have it setup right.

Some of the local hams have been using IUVeiw and I have to admit there isn't a lot of local packet traffic here in my area so trying to monitor the air to get my program set right is quite the task.

does anyone out there have any idea how to set it up?

I'm using a 2600+Mhz machine so speed is not a problem and I have the serial adaptor to sync my radio with my PC.

I also have managed to get the program to Flash TX about every couple seconds or so but have not recieved any transmitions. Ever when I was monitoring some hams while they were transmitting using UIView.
AD8A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 10:48:52 AM »

Hm. Well, first off, you either need a TNC or use AGWPE. The serial adapter for the TH-F6A is just for programming, it does NOT work for communications, unless you mean an audio interface like the Buxcomm ones.
I havent used MixW, but its just going to be using whatever you have. AGWPE does work with the THF6A. You use the sound card emulation.
First check the radio - menu item 9 "SP/MIC JACK" should be in either "SP/MIC" or "TNC" - NOT in "PC" (this is only for programming.)
Then check that audio is getting to/from the radio. First hook up just the CPU mic (or audio in if you have that) to to the radio speaker jack, and make sure the computer is getting it. Remember that the 2.5mm jack is wired differently, you may need to make a special adapter - see the manual.  Better yet, make the audio adapter that they describe in the manual, going straight to 3.5mm plugs for your audio in/out on your cpu.)
Either way, test for audio coming in. Make sure that you go into the audio mixer on your cpu and make sure the mic/audio in is not piping straight into audio out. (i.e. you shouldnt hear whats coming into the computer   on the audio out, although this is a default setting you will want to stop this so you can use VOX for transmitting.)
OK, audio coming in? Now make sure audio gets out, play an mp3 or something, ideally something legal like you recording yourself IDing, and listen in another radio.
OK, so audio is going into and out of the radio. Now setup AGWPE - use soundcard interface. This is covered in detail on the AGWPE site.
NOW AGWPE is running, you'll want to monitor first - at the AGWPE site download AGWPE Monitor, which just listens to the decoded digital stuff. Put the radio on the frequency you're going to use, and see if it picks up anything. I usually monitor 144.39, the local APRS freq, as it is quite active. You'll hopefully see a list of traffic as it happens. If you dont get this, then either your setup is wrong or no-one is using digital anyways. You may have to leave this on like this for a day or so, and it may depend on if anyone has beacons on.
Once you get the input ok, you can try to test the output. Switch to a simplex freq not being used, set your radio to VOX on, my settings are "VOXonBUSY"=ON, "VOX GAIN"=7, "VOX DELAY"=250ms. Set your tranmistter power to EL. Now generate a tone or signal like before, and observe that the radio keys up.
Setting your levels can be tricky, AGWPE has a nice soundcard monitor feature to set incoming levels, and you may have to just listen to another radio to set outgoing levels.
Once this is working you can use most any program, hopefully including MixW. I use this setup with my THF6A to use Paclink and it works. Kinda.
You probaby dont want to hear this, but nothing beats a KPC3+. They rock.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: